Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2004, 05:01 PM

Default Re: Sandwiches

I like sandwiches too. in fact, a couple of years ago I was touring europe with a trio playing jazz on the street. we were on a budget, so every single day for 3 months we had fruit, cheese and baguette sandwiches for lunch. brie and pears are my personal favorite, although fresh tomatoes and fresh mozzarella is particularly good as well, as are pears and bleu cheese and peaches and any sort of creamy (brielike) cheese.

my favorite peanut butter sandwich is peanut butter, mixed nuts for extra crunchiness, and honey on toasted bread.

--turnipmonster
Old 09-27-2004, 02:18 PM

Peanut butter and bacon sandwich, on toasted white bread. I'm not kidding. You'll love it.
Old 09-27-2004, 02:45 PM

im not very sophisticated:

my favorite sandwhich is jasons dellis french dip.
Old 09-27-2004, 04:02 PM

For anyone living in Washington DC... the greatest sandwiches ever made are made at Penn Grill at 825 20th St Northwest (20th and I). This place is owned by an Asian family and the mom makes the cold sandwiches in the back. She's gotta be the greatest sandwich maker on earth. They roast up the turkey on site and she slices it up right there in front of you to make the sandwich. She also cuts up the tomato, cucumbers, avocado, etc, right there and makes everything exactly like you want it. There are all sorts of sandwiches that aren't even on the menu that she will make for you. The bread is also great and they have all sorts of great mustards and sauces that you can put on. This place is also great because they have hot sandwiches that are pretty good too, and make your own stir fry as well where you pick out the ingredients and they stir fry it for you (a la mongolian bbq). But the real selling point are the sandwiches. My personal favorites were the italian sub, the roast beef and turkey club, the BLT and the Waldorf.

Penn Grill is the thing I miss most about DC.
Old 09-27-2004, 04:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
However, about 8 blocks away are the Vietnamese sandwich shops. There, they make delicious sandwiches on fresh tasty baguettes. Filled with lots of succulent fresh roasted seasoned pork or BBQ chicken or all sorts of other delicious meats and some delicious carrots/cucumbers/onions/cilantro/etc, a little dab of pate and mayo. Delicious. These sandwiches go from $2 to $2.50 and are better than most any deli sandwich.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll second (or third or fourth) this vote. My wife found a small sandwich shop like this outside of Seattle. Same pricing, like $2 or $2.50 per sandwich. They put some sort of spicy seasoning on the pork one, which if you get a bite with a lot of spice, will make your eyes water. It's great.

The best part is when we have a housewarming to go to, or other party where we need to bring food, a lot of times we'll just go pick up 4 or 5 sandwiches, slice them up on a plate, and we've got an easy dish for like $10.

Unfortunately I haven't found one of these places in Olympia yet (which is about an hour south of Seattle, for non-Washingtonians). [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 09-27-2004, 08:43 PM

I lived in DC for 15 years, on and off.

On the fast-food-type end of the Sammitch Spectrum, I must admit to being a big fan of Boeymonger's in Friendship Heights.

They made a sandwich called a Manhattan, with roast beef, cheddar cheese, bacon, and a special sauce thing that was unbelievable. They also had a breakfast sammitch called a Friss which was eggs, cream cheese and pastrami on a kaiser roll with spicy mustard that was excellent for hangover elimination.

I ate an awful lot of those.

I haven't lived or visited there for some while. I wonder if they're still there.

Yum.

(Edited for sammitch content)
Old 09-27-2004, 09:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why have a I never heard of this place? I lived in Allentown/Bethlehem for the last seven years. PM me some directions to the Emmaus location if you have the time or inclination.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you find it? I sent you a PM.
Old 10-01-2004, 10:31 PM

This might look like a bump, but now that I'm a pooh-bah, I can get away with anything, and be credible doing it.

One interesting--and topical--sidenote is the derivation of the word sandwich.

There was an Earl, whose ancestors had discovered the Sandwich Islands, who was fond of playing cards. He was remiss in his duties to his own constitution (he didn't like to leave the card table it seems), and his wife worried about about him.

Since he wouldn't come and eat a proper meal, she brought him some meats and some bread.

Etc.

So we have cards to thank for this, as well!
Old 10-02-2004, 12:32 AM

Last year before going to bed for a couple of months I'd make myself a sandwich to eat while I read in bed. Toasted wheat, then buffalo chicken (a spicy coldcut), melted swiss cheese, tomatoes and spicy mustard. When I was I was lucky and we had them, I would also have a knish.
Old 10-02-2004, 08:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Last year before going to bed for a couple of months

[/ QUOTE ]

What are you, a bear?

Sounds like a nice sandwich, though.

How about a nice pick-a-nick basket?