Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2005, 04:14 AM

Default Re: Furgeson says have to be very intelligent! Is he right?

Anyone other than Smoothcall, move onto the next post.

I'm doing this for my own personal amusement and feel it is my duty to correct your grammar, spelling, and punctuation. Feel free, of course, to do the same for me. I will be adding my pithy comments after corrections.

[ QUOTE ]
Oh so its a worm out when i state something in the origianl post?

[/ QUOTE ]

Three punctuation mistakes (a comma after "Oh", "its" should be "it's" and please capitalize I) and one misspelled word (origianl should be original).

First, you list some top pros, state they are not "considered" intelligent people and then say you're not knocking them? That's a backhanded insult. What if Phil Ivey said, "Players such as Smoothcall and many others are people that wouldn't be considered very intelliigent people. At least in the sense that furgeson uses. As he went on to give his degrees and such. I'm not in any way knocking these guys. But to show that they are players that might not necessarily be very intelligent people that dominate the tournament poker world."

If someone said this about you, I would consider this an insult. Of course, there may be truth in this statement.

[ QUOTE ]
Or is it you trying to twist my words to make me look like i was insulting them?

[/ QUOTE ]

When you refer to yourself, please capitalize I. You need to hold the shift key when you hit the letter I.

I'm not twisting anything. They are your words.

[ QUOTE ]
Any intelligent person can see i wasn't insulting them and instead complimenting them(if anyhting) saying they are very good players.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please captialize the I (again), put a space after "them", and the correct spelling is "anything".

I'll repeat the first sentence of the fictional Phil Ivey statement, "Players such as Smoothcall and many others are people that wouldn't be considered very intelligent people."

Oh, but I took it out of context like you took Chris Ferguson's statement (please note the correct spelling of his last name).

I will state right now that I am not an intelligent person. I did very poorly in Chemical Engineering (but I did manage to graduate in 4 years), my grades got better when I got my Comp Sci degree, and did very well with my MBA. But hey, it was business school. By Ferguson's definition, I guess I could be "very intelligent" if I were a top poker pro, but alas, by my own humble admission I am not.

[ QUOTE ]
And trying to show that you dont have to be book smart to be atop.

[/ QUOTE ]

One punctuation error. (Please, make apostrophes your friend and use them - "dont" doesn't mean anything. "Don't" means "do not" which is what you mean. I'll let "atop" slide since it could be an adverb but if it was a preposition, then you shouldn't have used it to end the sentence.

Well, you see, if you had used the term "book smart" which would have made your original hypothesis stronger, you would not be made out to be incredibly uninformed.

[ QUOTE ]
I guess that says somthing of your intelligence that you couldn't figure that out?

[/ QUOTE ]

You almost made it through a complete sentence without an error but you missed the "e" in "something". Better luck next time.

I guess it does say something of my intelligence that I did figure out, what with all the misspellings and bad use of grammar.

[ QUOTE ]
Now you say i was saying Chris was snobbish?

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, please capitalize "I".

Knowing what we all know about Chris Ferguson, he is a terribly articulate, very smart guy. IN MY OPINION (I'm capitalizing so you know it's my opinion), I do not believe Chris was saying that you had to have post secondary school education, hence, you would be considered "very intelligent", therefore you would be a top poker player. You have construed his comment to make it look like he says you have to have a college education to be a successful poker pro. This is the idiotic axiom that has exposed your complete lack of expressing yourself in the written word.

[ QUOTE ]
In fact i think chris is a very nice guy from what i se from afar and have heard about him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, same grammatical mistakes and misspelling see. Please, it's just another keystroke to add the last "e".

I will agree with that quote. You have stated yourself well.

[ QUOTE ]
I just disagree with him that book smarts have anything to do with great poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well done, the first sentence with no corrections.

Again, if you had expressed the "book smarts" theory originally, then you'd be in the clear on this. I again, stand by my assertion, that Chris Ferguson was in no way implying that, by your revised definition, you needed "book smarts" to be a top poker player. You have twisted his words, sir.

[ QUOTE ]
You have misquoted me and insulted me unfairly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, the second sentence without correction in a row. Good job!

I am not misquoting you. I have insulted you fairly, though.

[ QUOTE ]
Why is it ok for you to do what you claim i did to them. (although i did not) because they are famous, and your heroes so its not ok to insult them(again i ddint in anyway insult them) but its ok to insult me? That makes alot of sense. You are one of those higher thinkers i see.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've stopped the line by line analysis and will move into general paragraph corrections. Again with the "I", punctuations, and misspellings. It just makes you look even worse.

You did insult them, they are not my heroes, and you open yourself up to criticism when you make stupid and unclear comments. If you made stupid comments, then it's much more black and white and it's less fun to pick on you. But when they're stupid and unclear and you try to defend yourself, then you've gone from people thinking you're an idiot to knowing you're an idiot. Believe me, I would rather have people think I'm an idiot, than know I'm an idiot. It's just better that way.

As Shakespeare said, "Me thinks the Lady doth protest too much."

By the way, thank you for the compliment. I've never been called a "higher thinker". That's really sweet.

[ QUOTE ]
Btw if those poker players read my post i think most of them would be able to figure out this post wasn't an insult at them. Only you think it was because you want to try and twist and make me look like the bad guy to feel less guilty and defer blsme away from you. And try to have it directed at me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, misspellings, punctuations, etc.

You did insult them. Period. You have equated their blue collar beginnings (dealer, cook, etc) to being very intelligent.

I don't have to try and make you look like the bad guy. You are the bad guy. In fact, I think you killed Jimmy Hoffa.

I don't know why I have any guilt about this and what blame I'm trying to defer but I guess I'll have to discuss this with my priest.

I don't have to direct anything at you. You have brought a pox upon your own house. (I apologize, my higher thinking kicks in and I can't help get a little literary.)

[ QUOTE ]
How do you know if they are intelligent or very intelligent? That is an intelligent statement. You make an assertion based on never meeting the people. Let alone having deep conversations with them. You made yourself look silly. I fogrgive you. A simple apology would be great. But i won't get it. thats how guys like you work. Insult aimlessly. Just dont respond to my posts if u dont find them interesting. No need to attack me when unprovoked. That makes you the bad guy right off the bat. I didnt insult you. Yet you attack me. Grow up bro.

[/ QUOTE ]

How do I know they are intelligent? By definition. Even you are intelligent althought I think many people are convinced you're on the other side of the bell curve. Way on the other side. We're talking four or five sigma now.

But I guess I need to have deep conversations with everybody to determine whether or not they are, by your definition, "very intelligent" or just plain "intelligent".

(Just as an aside, the first thing I look for in a woman is lack of intelligence. It increases my chances of scoring. That and alcohol.)

Yes, I'm silly. And petty. This post pretty much proves it.

Thanks for "fogrgive"-ing me. That's very Christian of you.

If I gave you an apology, it would have to be simple, otherwise you might miss it.

Actually, I think my insults are well aimed and are not aimless. I have given proper notation when due and have tried to be merticulous in my cutdowns.

I felt compelled to respond to your posts, because (a) I was bored, (b) it became fun when it riled you up, and (c) I must call someone on a moronic argument. I will continue to respond to your posts as long as these three requirements are met.

I'm not going to "Grow up bro." It's a genetic condition that I have.

There, I feel much better about myself, at Smoothcall's expense.

In closing, when someone says something stupid or uninformed and they are not called on it, it lowers our standards that much more. It is our civic duty, nay, our moral duty to stand up to mediocrity and say, "No more!". It brings to mind Pastor Martin Niemoller's famous poem:

"When Hitler attacked the Jews
I was not a Jew, therefore I was not concerned.

And when Hitler attacked the Catholics,
I was not a Catholic, and therefore, I was not concerned.

And when Hitler attacked the unions and the industrialists,
I was not a member of the unions and I was not concerned.

Then Hitler attacked me and the Protestant church --
and there was nobody left to be concerned."

Stamp out ignorance!
Old 11-11-2005, 04:57 AM

Just a couple things. Lets see how a man of your obvious higher thinking can answer me this.

1) It sounds to me like you think good poker players have to be on the high side of the bell curve of intelligence. If this is true how do you explain me? You seem to believe people know i am an idiot now. But yet anyone who knows me would tell you i am a very good poker player? Therer seems to ba problem here? Please fix it professor! Btw the snobbish attitude you accused me of trying to make chris look like seems to suit you a little bit better than chris. Oh and if book smart has nothing to do with intelligence than why are you calling me an idiot because of punctuation and english? Isn't that book smart sir? You see how you make yourslef look like you are on the lower end of the bell curve yourself? Please explain professor?

2) If you are gonna correct punctuation you beeter make sure you dont make mistakes. Because that makes one look like a bigger fool. The word is meticulous not merticulous but good try. You are cute. But you are way out of your league if you want to battle wits with me. You better stick to the spelling bee's. You are very good at those. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I give you an A-. I'm sure you made many more mistakes but i'm not as anal as you to pick them all out.

How does one find entertainment in picking out misspelled words? You must have an exciting life. I wish i was you! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-11-2005, 05:09 AM

I'm just curious how people read phil ivey's mind. Saying he does quick mental calcualtions on the spot? How do you know that. Others have said the same thing? How do you know he is doing quick calcualtions? Only he knows what he's thinking. Maybe he doesn't calcualte anything and goes on feel for his oppnent. And does no math whatsoever. I'm not saying thats the case. But how do you guys know what he's doing in his head? And i'm not meaning to come off arguing with you. I just always hear people say things like that when its pure specualtion. You dont know if he is very smart or anything about him. All you know is he has success playing poker. The intensely smart part is pure speculation.
Old 11-11-2005, 05:55 AM

I bait you and you go for it. I'm still up late and my wife is snoring and it's still fun to yank your chain.

(1) I am attacking your first premise which was flawed. It was flawed in the way that YOU made it seem like Chris Ferguson said that you had to have "degrees and such" to be a "very intelligent" poker player. My bell curve comment was an obvious taunt to you which you have taken personally. But my kudos to you for understanding the insult. I just found it fun to pick on you because of how defensive you are.

If it sounds like I think that good poker players have to be on the high side of the bell curve of intelligence, then it was only to lampoon you. Here's my general statement on the intelligence argument: No, you don't have to be "very intelligent" to be a top pro. I'd even dare say that you just need to be plain intelligent to succeed. I don't disagree with your conclusion, I violently disagree with the conditions upon which you set up the premise. You did insult some top pros, albeit unintentionally, by your inability to clearly express yourself in writing. I took offense to that and will continue to do so. I will call out what I consider to be inane comments.

I'm sure you think you're a very good poker player. You probably can show me a bankroll to prove what a superior player you are to me. You go girl. I dare say, you are an intelligent poker player because you make good decisions based upon the information available to you and you are succeeding in whatever games/limits you choose to be in. Rock on mighty warrior.

Pulling out your "I'm a better poker player than anyone that has insulted me in this thread" is the old schoolyard game of "Who's got the biggest?" I have no problem conceding to your manliness.

Proper grammar and punctuation is not book smart. It is proper grammar and punctuation. It is courtesy. If you have a learning disability or dyslexia, you can get help. There is no shame in asking. Or you can take a writing class at The Learning Annex. No one's holding you back. You just have to try.

From the tone of your comments, I am sure you are a well adjusted person. Others think highly of you and you think highly of others. You have good self esteem, a quiet confidence, and a sense of humbleness when needed. You are a leader in your community. You are a man amongst men.

I must bow down upon the superior intellect.

(2) Damn it. You caught my mistakes. I am not perfect. You are too clever for me. Is it too much to ask for proper spelling and punctuation? And while you're at it, a very clear argument that doesn't insult other people. I must say you made far fewer mistakes this time so you are improving. Well done.

If it's a battle of wits you are after, then I hope I am worthy competitor. Please feel free to use other weapons like satire and mockery but you should probably steer clear on slander. Everyone's still up in arms after the Paul Phillips banishment.

I shall await your next correspondence with baited breath.
Old 11-11-2005, 08:41 AM

I'm sorry. I don't want to fight with you. I just wsnted to make an interesting post. Maybe it wasn't. Maybe i wrote it poorly. I don't know. But it didn't seem right to me to be attacked and insulted so vigorously by so many without being personally provoked. I don't mimd anyone disagreeing with any post i make. But i mind being insulted for no reason. I didn't realize this forum was intended to make people feel scared to start a thread. That unless everyone agrees with the post, its written well, and spelled correctly, it will get bashed.

Anyway, i didnt want it to degenerate the way that it did. But that is what will inevitably happen if you and others just fire out insults. I would never do that to a thread you started. Its just rude and uncalled for. But i call a truce. I feel no ill will towards you. Sorry if i insulted you. Take care.
Old 11-11-2005, 09:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Wow you totally tried to slip past the fact that you said i said nothing about degrees and ferguson saying that. Then i tell you to go read it again. I guess now you SEE it but are not man enough to admit you were wrong. You guys are all the same. Spout lies get proven wrong then won't admit it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Has a troll ever posted 1300+ times?

[/ QUOTE ]

An intelligent one would have figured it out and left by that point.
Old 11-11-2005, 09:56 AM

Among poker's brightest and most successful, there is one player who garners the highest praise. Howard Lederer said this player would before long be known as the best player who ever lived. Chris Ferguson called him a "genius". Barry Greenstein, who doesn't give out compliments lightly, refers to him as one of the five best in the world and notes that he's still improving. Erick Seidel said he has "a searing intelligence."

Link

So Ferguson, one of the people everyone recognizes as one of the greatest minds in poker. Thinks Phil Ivey is a genius, does that tell you anything??
Old 11-11-2005, 10:07 AM

Educated people are always a little condescending about their education. If you like poker, just study hard and play hard. Don't worry about ur god given intelligence, you cannot change it.

Indy
Old 11-11-2005, 11:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Educated people are always a little condescending about their education. If you like poker, just study hard and play hard. Don't worry about ur god given intelligence, you cannot change it.

[/ QUOTE ]

True, but if you don't have it, poker's going to cost you a lot of money. I expect smoothcall would actually score highly on IQ tests if he's been successful as suggested here. He just hasn't been trained in the mechanics of the written word and has trouble expressing himself as a result.

In his original post, I think smoothcall misconstrued two statements Ferguson made as relating to one another because they came from the same source. He's gotten a lot of flack for it, but that's because he's continually fought back (fuel on the fire...).

Smooth, just in case it hasn't been made obvious, I think Ferguson was listing his degrees to show the ways he's developed his intelligence, not to suggest he's intelligent in the first place.

Gary
Old 11-11-2005, 11:56 AM

"Road scholar".

Bahahahahahahahahah