Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2005, 09:30 AM

Default Short stacked bubble play

$150 Pearl tournament on Paradise. 22 players left, 20 places pay. I have T6K, less than half average stack. Blinds 400/800/50. CO with T22K open limps; SB has T7K, BB T4K. You have A5o on button. Push, limp, or fold?
Old 09-30-2005, 09:36 AM

Default Re: Short stacked bubble play

My take on this situation.

Limp: Never. It's 1/6th of your stack to call. Never do that.

Push: Not a good hand for that. And you are on the button so that's like 7 hands before you have to post the blind again. A better opportunity will arise.

Fold: Yes, wait for a better opportunity here.

But if you are seriously thinking of limping, then push instead.
Old 09-30-2005, 09:44 AM

I generally fold because of the limper. What in the heck is he doing limping from the co with that stack size and the massive folding equity he has on the bubble? You really can't hurt him that much when you push and he's getting around 1.6:1 on the call so he doesn't have to have much of a hand to call against you.
Old 09-30-2005, 10:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I generally fold because of the limper. What in the heck is he doing limping from the co with that stack size and the massive folding equity he has on the bubble? You really can't hurt him that much when you push and he's getting around 1.6:1 on the call so he doesn't have to have much of a hand to call against you.

[/ QUOTE ]

I assume he was doing a delayed blind steal. He had limped in late before. He is a big stack on the bubble. He could also have a big pair.

I folded, but I was wondering if I should have pushed. A5 is ahead of most hands he would be limping from CO with. I figure I might have folding equity. If he calls and I am ahead, I get a great result with pot odds and the best hand. The blinds were unlikely to call, but if they did, my hand would probably be dominated.