Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2005, 08:33 AM

Default When will the 64 bit machines be the new standard?.

I upped the memory in my old clunker and bought a crappy video card to run a second monitor a few weeks ago. I'm delaying my new box purchase waiting for the AMD64's and equivalent machines. I read that Windows-XP for the 64 is already beta testing.

IMO and FWIW I think Dell is just dumping all the old hardware in the market to clear stocks in anticipation of the new NEW THING. I expect the prices for pentiums to go near zero soon, much like the 2001FPs...

When will they come out with 64s?. I swear my other 4 monitors in their boxes are starting to get desperate...not that I'm looking forward to play so many tables anyway...
Old 04-24-2005, 09:17 AM

Default Re: When will the 64 bit machines be the new standard?.

Welcome to 18 months ago?
Old 04-24-2005, 09:24 AM

I meant with 64s and the Windows XP as standard running 64 bit software, not the current 32-bit emulation BS.
Old 04-24-2005, 09:32 AM

Blame Microsoft for dragging their feet, everybody else was running 32/64 at most a few months after processors started getting mass produced. And a 32-bit OS running on 32/64 isn't emulation like you're saying, the differences between the AMD64's 32/64 and a 100% 64-bit processor like IA64 and IBM's PPC are significant.

And yeah, expect to be running 32-bit applications for years to come.
Old 04-24-2005, 09:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I meant with 64s and the Windows XP as standard running 64 bit software, not the current 32-bit emulation BS.

[/ QUOTE ]

You got a LONG time for that to become a standard. It will take 3-5 years at least for aplication developers to catch up. I am already using a 64bit chip, but the 64 bit OS kinda sucks for now. The big problem is drivers for third party add ons.

TT
Old 04-24-2005, 12:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]

You got a LONG time for that to become a standard. It will take 3-5 years at least for aplication developers to catch up. I am already using a 64bit chip, but the 64 bit OS kinda sucks for now. The big problem is drivers for third party add ons.

TT

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah thats the big catch-22 right now. For the 64 bit edition of windows every device needs a new 64bit driver. The device manufacturers don't want to bother writing drivers for an OS that hasn't been deployed on a large scale, and consumers don't want to deploy an OS without sufficient driver support.
Old 04-24-2005, 01:03 PM

Yeah def blame microsoft. They got tied up in SP2 and now are probally waiting for Intel to get their Athlon 64 copy going.

It's easy to redo some applications to use 64 bit extension (just a compiler switch and some debugging)--the biggest problem is all the drivers. Those have to be rewritten.
Old 04-24-2005, 01:08 PM

IMO and FWIW I think Dell is just dumping all the old hardware in the market to clear stocks in anticipation of the new NEW THING.

Arnt they dumping their old hardware and having huge deals because April is the close of their fiscal year??? Got to drive up those sales figures...
Old 04-24-2005, 03:22 PM

Isn't april considered Quarter 1, not the end of the fiscal year.
Old 04-24-2005, 04:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Take out the microsoft part and you can do it today. Heck, the only reason I have windows running is because I don't want to risk running poker apps through wine. I'm afraid their spyware won't run correctly and they'll assume I'm a cheater. Yes, I realize I am paranoid.