Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2005, 02:50 PM

Default Clueless

Villian is unknown and short stacked with about 6BB.

I think the turn is right, but the river I felt lost with. I think I'm accustomed to seeing villian bet there.

Party Poker 3.00/6.00 Hold'em <font color="#0000FF">(10 handed)</font> link

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (6.33 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls.

Turn: (5.17 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks.

River: (5.17 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 5.17 BB.
Old 10-22-2005, 02:53 PM

Default Re: Clueless

BET THE TURN!!!!!!!!

Why would you raise the flop and check the turn, giving your opponent a free opportunity to beat you on the river.

You're raising the flop because you think you often have the best hand. Sure, sometimes the Q beats you, but no often enough to figure that you don't still have the equity to bet.

If you bet the turn and get called, I think you should probably check the river behind, but some might like to suggest you make a thin value-bet.
Old 10-22-2005, 03:19 PM

I played it so screwy because getting 3-bet out of the blinds just put me in WB mentality for some reason. I actually raised the flop so I could fold comfortably or take the free card on the turn when he would try and C/R me.

I think I've been playing against too many tricky TAG/LAGs. I don't know what to do against passivity.

Do you fold to a C/R on the turn. Because I think AK is very capable of that.
Old 10-22-2005, 03:52 PM

Why do you want a free card with 77? Bet/fold the turn.
Old 10-22-2005, 03:55 PM

I'm with W here - against most opponents, bet the turn (folding to a CR) and either bet the river or check behind, depending on how likely he is to call with A high. If you are currently ahead, your opponent is likely to have 6 outs to beat you so the free card helps him a lot. If you are behind, you only have 2 outs, so not seeing the river isn't a big deal.

If you think that your opponent is capable of CRing the turn with AK, then I would just call, call, call (maybe folding if an A or K came). Since you can't get him to fold his overcards before the river, I'd just let him bluff at me the whole way.
Old 10-22-2005, 05:39 PM

if your going to play 77 aggressively preflop you cannot get timid on 1 non ace facecard, his flop bet is a standard continuation bet here, when he shows some strength then worry about aa-99 aq. DONT LET HIM DRAW OUT bet turn and if u dont bet turn then why check river?
Old 10-22-2005, 06:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you fold to a C/R on the turn. Because I think AK is very capable of that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Normal players do NOT c/r with AK on the turn after someone raised them on the flop. It's just not done. If you have a player in a hand with you who does something like this, it's worth a special note and demands a certain tact. But a random player with no reads? Bet the turn man. If he check raises you you're drawing to two outs against a typical player and can easily fold.
Old 10-22-2005, 07:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know about the "fold" part..
Old 10-22-2005, 07:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know about the "fold" part..

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm interested in hearing more. Sometimes I feel like I'm folding the best hand on the turn, but are they really checkraising with AK that often after all the previous action?
Old 10-22-2005, 07:43 PM

you should bet the turn.