Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2005, 10:40 AM

Default Dumbest move you\'ve ever made

Last night I was Hamlet at the poker table. I was only crazy when the wind blew North North West, but damn was it blowing hard. The inability to make a decision was killing me, and I was treading water. If not for Lady Luck I wouldn't have been up at all...and I knew I didn't deserve even that. By Three in the morning I was tired, and disgusted with the way I was playing.

It was at that moment I made one of the dumbest moves of my life.

The game was Omaha, and thanks to a couple of threes in the hand, I had flopped a boat. With a flush draw on board, the hand held serious promise. For the first time all night, I played the hand perfecdtly, drawing my arch nemisis into the pot. There was sixty dollars in the pot when the spade came up and I knew my foe made his flush. He checked, with the intention of raising and I pushed all in, keeping my body language perfect. He reached for his chips, as I worked hard on avoiding his eyes and reaching for a smoke.

"You got the boat?" he asked.

Now, there are many things one can say in this situation. Best, perhaps to say nothing. One may debate the best thing to say, but may I offer the worst.

"Yes" I answered, perhaps in the back of my mind thinking he had called. I honestly don't know. Suddenly I panicked. Crap! I just told him my hand by accident. This is where one has to rely upon their brain to make a sound judgement and come up with a clever response. I slipped to auto-pilot and waited a millisecond for my brain to come up with something smart to cover everything up. My cover?

"S@#t! I just told you what I had."

Thanks brain. Thanks for nothing. Now I don't feel bad for trying to kill you with all those drugs and booze.

He sat there stunned for a moment thinking to himself "Is Bob really that dumb?" Finally he folding, showing how much respect he gave my ability to screw things the pooch when the pressure was on.

Fine. Perhaps I'm not sure if telling the opposition what my cards are before he bets is the dumbest thing I ever did...but in the morning it sure feels like it.

What's the dumbest thing you folks have ever done at a table?
Old 08-15-2005, 10:46 AM

Default Re: Dumbest move you\'ve ever made

when you are in the hand don't talk. It's not even what you say so much as how you say it sometimes. Just sit there and wait for him to make a decision.
Old 08-15-2005, 11:15 AM

Next time you're in a big pot and push in with air and he asks if you got it again say 'yes'.
Old 08-15-2005, 11:48 AM

My personal hall-of-shame hand:

I hit an ace high straight (holding A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ) on the river at a B&M 5/10 limit table. The guy in front of me is my only opponent. The board has J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] blank blank. He and I start betting and raising each other. Now, I don't know why I didn't give him credit for the flush other than I was just looking to hit the hand I was looking for and basically told myself that he didn't have a flush.

Not only did he have the flush, he had the royal. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

On the river I think we reraised it about 8 times before the guy finally just stopped and called me.

Funny thing, he said, "I have a flush. I also have the straight. Oh #@%*, I have a straight flush!" He honestly didn't even realize it until he turned it over and looked at the board.

I cashed out and left within the next orbit. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 08-15-2005, 11:50 AM

I was playing in a limit holdem game once and raised proflop with two queens. I was playing so tight that night (we were 11 handed with wild players) that that most likely meant I had a high pocket pair. One guy decided to call me with QT admittingly knowing he was a dog bc he "makes a lot of boats with that hand" the flop comes QTx and we're betting and raising all the way until the ten on the river where he bets and out of sheer stupidity, I only called his bet. I could have easily made another 2-3 big bets at least in that pot.
Old 08-15-2005, 12:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was playing in a limit holdem game once and raised proflop with two queens. I was playing so tight that night (we were 11 handed with wild players) that that most likely meant I had a high pocket pair. One guy decided to call me with QT admittingly knowing he was a dog bc he "makes a lot of boats with that hand" the flop comes QTx and we're betting and raising all the way until the ten on the river where he bets and out of sheer stupidity, I only called his bet. I could have easily made another 2-3 big bets at least in that pot.

[/ QUOTE ]
This play 0WNS Gbob's in a dumb contest.

The one play I always hate remembering though I'm sure I've made dumber was at the final table in an online tourney with some pretty big $ payouts (for me). I had already made at least 1K with 7 people left. There are 2 extreme short stacks (1 has 1-2BBs, 1 had about 4) and I have a fairly large stack though not the biggest sized stack. A big stack pushes in on my BB from the button when I hold 88 and I call. Big stack had been pushing in a ton but still I'm probably racing when I can win at least $1K more by waiting out the short stacks.
Old 08-15-2005, 01:34 PM

My brilliant move happened last week... At the final game for my friends league. (largest payouts and free buyins for winners from the previous games)
Flop is A K Q.... Normally I look at my cards constantly but not this time. Turn is a 9 and the river comes out a J... Betting, raising reraising between me and 1 other person and i flip my cards and say "Strait". I had a J-2 not a 10-2 (Big Blind hand w/ no raise) Needless to say i was a bit angry at myself...

This was however overshadowed by some new guy who we let buy into our final game who went all in with a wraparound strait Q-K-A-2-3.. and got angry at us when we said that its not a hand..
Old 08-15-2005, 02:25 PM

I was playing 7 stud and thought both my initial hole cards were hearts. I caught 3 more and capped the river with my A hi flush, flipped my cards announcing "flush" and saw 4 hearts, 2 diamonds and a spade. No pair. AWESOME.
Old 08-15-2005, 07:24 PM

PLaying a bar tournament, and for some reason the bar has allowed a 16 year old kid to play in the tourney, he just has to leave at 10pm. So, 10pm comes and the kid has to leave, and he has about 2700 in chips. So, he just starts going all in blind every hand, and he's directly to my left, so I always act before him. Well, after about three hands of this, with about 3800 in chips, I pick an Ace Jack, not a great hand, but I'll play it against his random hand. I call, with the intention of calling the kids all in, now the guy to my right had also simply called. As expected, the kid goes all in, the table folds around the guy to my right, and he calls the all in, putting himself all-in, (he had about 1900), suddenly, my brain goes into complete meltdown, and I have visions of the guy to my right having a monster. I htink about it, and fold. I still don't know why. I had been prepared to call the kid's 2700 chips, and the guy to my right didn't make it cost anymore for me to call then it originally had, all he did was give me a better price for my money, almost 3-1 instead 2-1 and if I did lose the hand, I wasn't busted. And yes, the guy could have had a monster, but so the could the kid, I knew there was the possibility that I would have to hit the flop to win. But I still folded. No reason in the world for me to do it, and I did.

And for the record, the kid turned over a J4o or soemthing, the guy to my right tunred over KQo, an ace came on the flop.
Old 08-15-2005, 07:36 PM

hindsight is 20-20