Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2005, 07:02 PM

Default WPT announcers overheard by players?

In a WPT event in Aruba I think last year, the short stack made a move early w/ not the best of hands. So Mike said he's making a move. After the hand was over, the short stack said "Thanks Mike for saying I was making a move." It seems like the announcers are so close to the players that they can overhear what they are saying. Or, that it would be possible for someone in the audience to eavesdrop (maybe electronically) on what the announcers are saying and signal to a player on a tough decision. Isn't this possible?
Old 11-26-2005, 07:24 PM

Default Re: WPT announcers overheard by players?

i don't think it really affects their decisions. Most real commentary is done after it is over, during the editing process, so anything of real importance isn't known at that time.
Old 11-26-2005, 08:34 PM

So your saying they do the commentary after the tourney? I guess this would make sense for them to do this, but why would they do any commentary during the tourney then?
Old 11-26-2005, 08:36 PM

the WPT guys do it live by all accounts i've heard but they seem to be the only ones that do any live commentating; they are also pretty close to the action so it wouldnt be out of the question for them to be overheard
Old 11-26-2005, 08:45 PM

No, they don't do it all live. They do some commentary live, but they do not see the whole cards live. That is done afterwards.
Old 11-26-2005, 08:52 PM

Are you sure about this? I thought that in the Aruba hand Sexton said the player was making a move just about the same time they were discussing his relatively weak hole cards. Could be just editing. I don't see why they would do this though because to me 90% or more of the commentary is based on what cards the players hold.
Old 11-26-2005, 10:27 PM

making a move can just mean he's going all in. if i have a short stack and i'm folding folding folding, then all of a sudden i decide to move all in, i'm making a move. it doesn't matter if i have AA or 72o.
Old 11-26-2005, 10:59 PM

you know, you can "make a move" with good hands too.

some of the commentary is live, but most is done after the show. if you listen closely you can tell which parts are live and which are not. during pf all-in races and such the commentary is usually live. if there's no showdown you can bet that most to all of the commentary is done after.
Old 11-26-2005, 11:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't see why they would do this though because to me 90% or more of the commentary is based on what cards the players hold.

[/ QUOTE ]
And thus 90% of the commentary you hear is recorded later.

Mike and Vince do not see the hole cards live.
Old 11-27-2005, 01:45 AM

I dont think the announcers can see the hole cards on the cam LIVE, can they? So their opinions shouldn't matter so much cuz they aren't playing anyway.