Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-2005, 10:13 AM

Default AQ hand from a New poster

reposted from the wrong forum

Hello all,
My name is Dan Graham. I play alot of poker. I am working to become a better player, and have a long way to go. The boards here have been a great help to me in that pursuit. I have been reading and learning here since almost the start. I am not much of a poster but am going to try to participate more in order to become better. Thank you all in advance for considering. I am posting an AQ hand from the Party 15/30 game. I dont know how to use the converter, if someone could advise for the future that would be great. Here's the hand. No reads, early in the session with strangers.

hero AsQd utg I raise, 2 MP callers, button 3 bets, BB calls, i call, 5 to the flop for 15.66sb

flop 2s,9s,jh
I check and its checked around to the button who bets, BB folds, I raise. MP calls CO folds, button 3 bets I call, MP calls. 24.66 sb.

turn card 3d, I check, MP checks, button bets, I call, MP folds. heads up to the river. 28.66sb.

river 7h. I check Button bets. I have ace high, I can only beat a Party nutball. Pot is fat. I call. button shows a set of jacks and takes it down.

reviewing this play, it sure looks bad. please advise. Dan
Old 01-25-2005, 10:31 AM

Default Re: AQ hand from a New poster

Since you didn't hit an Ace on the turn to think your hand was best, or another spade for a flush draw, you should have dropped the hand. You would be behind AK and any pair by a fair margin.

Check Raising the preflop 3-better with AQ when you hit neither is odd imo - the fact he 3 bet on the flop again tells you you should have dropped the hand on the turn.

Of course, I could have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about. It is how i would play the hand at any level.
Old 01-25-2005, 02:54 PM

reviewing this play, it sure looks bad. please advise. Dan

It is bad. Dude, jsut let it go on the flop. You missed. Next hand. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 01-25-2005, 07:45 PM

There are numerous books with the subject of how AQ should be played. Doyle hates this hand in so many spots, he says he lost more money on it than any other hand. Check out Advanced holdem for specific answers. Good luck. [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 01-25-2005, 07:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There are numerous books with the subject of how AQ should be played. Doyle hates this hand in so many spots, he says he lost more money on it than any other hand. Check out Advanced holdem for specific answers. Good luck. [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

aqo in NL is what doyle hates...

this is a very easy hand, check the flop if its 1 bet back the pot is big enough to take a card off on the turn since you have 2 b-d draws and your a or q may be good.

if its any more than 1 bet back, release on the flop.

-Barron
Old 01-26-2005, 12:46 AM

looks like you're the party nutball on this one.

Let go on the flop, and again on the turn.
Old 01-26-2005, 01:21 AM

Check the flop, you missed, you were three bet, you have a weak hand and most importantly - you are out of position. Take one off on the flop for one bet, the pots big, but be ready to let it go on the turn if you miss again. You can't represent a hand in this spot with the c/r, nobody's going to lay down.
Old 01-26-2005, 01:47 AM

Overcards play best three-way or heads up with an uncoordinated flop. You had 5 people to a two-suited flop with a possible straight draw. You had very little chance of taking the pot with a bet on the flop, and you had six outs to TPTK or TPGK that likely was no good if you hit. Since the button three-bet an UTG raise, there was a good chance you were up against a big pocket pair or AK. Either way, you were in trouble.

I'm not about to suggest that you should fold overcards on the flop every time, but this time your best course was to check-fold on the flop. Your overcards were clearly -EV. Given that you chose to play, the check raise wasn't bad. It had a good chance to isolate the button. Unfortunately it didn't work out that way. If you didn't fold on the flop, you should definitely have folded the turn. You had a big pot here, but you were likely drawing dead or very thin. Given that you were heads up on the river with a big pot, I think you had to make the river call, but you never should have seen the river.
Old 01-26-2005, 09:02 AM

Thanks for all the repsonses. I think the comment reinforce to me that its almost always best to keep things straight foward and simple. My default play in this situation would be check call the flop and either improve to TP or nut flush draw. Barring that outcome fold on the turn.Simple.

I was indeed the Party nutball on this hand.
Best of Luck
Dan Graham