Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-07-2005, 08:27 PM

Default Re: Upgrade the current computer, or buy a new one?

If it is more sluggish than normal you might check it for spyware using adaware, spybot etc...

More RAM is a great idea. Seems 512 is about as low as you want to be with WinXP.

If the video is sluggish you might want to look in to a new videocard. Not sure what you have now, might even be intergrated video since you said it was a low money PC. That could be using your RAM too.

Really doesn't sound like you need a new PC to me. Couple things might make it better than new.
Old 04-07-2005, 09:08 PM

I would just add a bunch of RAM. Everything else looks fine unless you play high graphic games.
Old 04-07-2005, 10:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If it is more sluggish than normal you might check it for spyware using adaware, spybot etc...

[/ QUOTE ]

You had to mention that!

I spent 8hrs downloading patches/antivirii/adaware and rebuilding my daughter and son-in-laws box. Then spent 2hrs reaming their butts. 2500+ virii, spybots, and such.

They only have dialup and I didn't bring any software. Was just planning on installing a new vid editor.
Old 04-08-2005, 02:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]

More RAM is a great idea. Seems 512 is about as low as you want to be with WinXP.

If the video is sluggish you might want to look in to a new videocard. Not sure what you have now, might even be intergrated video since you said it was a low money PC. That could be using your RAM too.

Really doesn't sound like you need a new PC to me. Couple things might make it better than new.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've got AdAware, SpyDoctor and SpySweeper. Anything else you recommend?
Old 04-08-2005, 11:10 AM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

microsoft antispyware
Old 04-08-2005, 12:43 PM

Hi,

I have a similar question as the OP. I have an older comptuer - {no name generic that a friend built }
(1 megahertz speed, just added memory (512 now) and a new DVI video card (for the Dell 2001FP that I just bought) and my hard drive is about 20 gigs (I think).

My motherboard/CPU just died. I am having it replaced with one of the combo boards. And I was told I would probably need the DDR memory too. Is there anything else you would reccomend that I add/upgrade? I only use it to play poker and run PT and GT+. It often performs slugglish when I run all three and sometimes freezes. I run windows XP. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 04-08-2005, 06:45 PM

Get hijackthis from this page

Click Me

About 1/2 way down there is a 'direct download' link.

Download and unzip to a folder. When you run it click the scan and create log file button.

A notepad window will come up. Copy/Paste the contents of that window in to the open field of the page I sent you to.

It will then let you scroll down further and tell you what looks really bad, suspicious etc....
Old 04-08-2005, 07:00 PM

I would suggest more RAM. If you can get 1gig of DDR. You should be in good shape. For me 512 is the very least I would run WinXP with. You said that you are having the mobo/cpu replaced... What are you getting? Here is what I do when replacing a cpu, because I am not a wealthy person... I look at the price sheet for all the current AMD cpus and I get the one that is right before the prices start going up in larger increments. I think I said that clearly?!

Also, keep the software updated... Windows, anti virus, spyware stuff etc...

Hope that helps a little.
Old 04-08-2005, 07:58 PM

Hey,

I am getting the dual processor/cpu. I think intel P4 at 3.2mghrtz and then some new DDR memory for 1 gig. The prices are 209 and 119. The guy that is working on my computer told me that those are good prices. I don't have a lot to spend, but if you can get a little more bang for a buck, I tend to try the bang if that makes sense.

Luckily my computer guy is giving me a refund for the old memory (the s ram) that I just bought. I'll hope it all works!!!!
Old 04-08-2005, 09:04 PM

Those prices don't seem out of line. Depending on the speed of the memory you might be able to find it cheaper, but if it being installed at those prices you are doing just fine.

Be sure that it is a P4 not a Celeron, and do your best to get quality RAM. Kingston, Corsair others may have some input on this, but make sure it is not just bobs ramorama.