Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2004, 09:11 PM

Default swings in stud 8

so i went to party 1/2
is -50bb in about 8 hours normal?
I feel my stack is slowly but surely decreasing because of the ante.. When I'm finally in a hand, it's tough to win against 4-5 other players.. maybe just unlucky I feel like I've totally missed 6 out of 7 low draws which were good at the 4th street!

What kind of swings are normal? -100 bb is fine as long as you could win 120 some other day

But I have to say this is only game where I keep losing a 25BB stack that I sit down with..
Old 11-12-2004, 08:00 AM

Default Re: swings in stud 8

I think my worst loss playing stud/8 is 45 BB. I've lost 60 BB playing high-only stud and hold'em. Of course, if I get stuck $2500 or so, my stomach starts to turn, so I don't stick around to lose $3000-4000. If you're losing consistently, it isn't the ante.
Old 11-12-2004, 09:37 AM

I'm with Andy on this one. Stud-8, in general, has a lower variance than holdem, and a much lower variance than stud. I have rarely had to reload twice (meaning I'm ~(-50BB)), and I play the PP .5/1 and 1/2 a lot.

If you're getting jammed in those multiway pots with the worst of it, you should expect to be -50BB often though. You usually have to be a lock for 1/2 of the pot or have a good scoop possibility w/ VERY live outs when playing jammed-up pots.
Old 11-12-2004, 09:52 AM

Default Yes,..

thanks guys.. I need to see how this goes on.. If i still need to reload it's time to reread Zee with thought (I will reread it anyway, but I MUST reread BEFORE playing if I keep losing).

I think my 3rd street and 6th and 7th street play is getting there, but 4th and 5th I make mistakes , for example this one-more-card-mentality, if I think no-one else hit anything either so..

I suppose the best way to get rid of mistakes would be to post a couple of worst hands
Old 11-12-2004, 09:54 AM

So you play quite high limit?
How is the play there?
As far as I've heard, in holdem there is a great supply of loose players at 15/30 for example, do they also sit down at the stud8 tables?
Old 11-12-2004, 03:41 PM

Default Re: Yes,..

make sure when you make your pot odds calculation you use 1/2 the pot when you are only drawing to low...or high. Because that could have you in too many pots
Old 11-12-2004, 04:02 PM

I currently play in two weekly games. One is $30/60 stud/8, and the other is $40/80, half stud/8 and half hold'em. There are a few players in both games who have no idea what they are doing, and several pretty good players. It all depends who shows up, but generally, the local $30/60 hold'em games are juicier than the stud/8 games. I enjoy stud/8 more, I play it better (usually), and the swings are more manageable, so I play stud/8 when I can.

The local $15/30 hold'em games are almost always very good.