Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2005, 12:26 AM

Default Re: Whats some secrets of Multi-tabling nl? is PT a Must?

[ QUOTE ]
You can get pokertracker for free from pokersourceonline

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it a full version? any strings attacted?
Old 12-11-2005, 12:26 AM

I have downloaded Pokertracker before and imported the maximum 1,000 free hands. I still haven't purchased it yet, and I don't think I will anytime soon (unless my results start to decline). I might be a rare species here (maybe not), but I'm a winning limit and no limit player and I do not use Pokertracker or any software whatsover. So owning and utilizing Pokertracker or any other software program is not a necessary condition of being an online winner. And I don't think this is a fluke as I've logged over 1,000 hours (this year) simultaneously playing between 2 and 4 tables. My limits range from .25/.50 and 3/6 fixed and .5/.10 to 2/4 NL.

However, Pokertracker probably couldn't hurt your game and given the general consensus of winning players here, it's probably a very beneficial tool to have in your arsenal.

Good luck,

JeffreyREBT "Wherein I don't promise to make you rich without trying, or even trying very hard; I do promise to say things that will make you FEEL rich."
Old 12-11-2005, 01:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, its the full Texas Hold Em version (although you could opt for the Omaha if you wanted).

I got mine through PSO. Of course, you will have to deposit into a poker room you don't have an account at, and clear the bonus requirements (# of hands/points)
Old 12-11-2005, 02:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I still haven't purchased it yet, and I don't think I will anytime soon (unless my results start to decline). I might be a rare species here (maybe not), but I'm a winning limit and no limit player and I do not use Pokertracker or any software whatsover.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not just buy the software. Winning players are not winners because of PT. But if you are playing that much , and especially if you are multitabling, there is no better thing to invest some money in. It does much more then track opponents stats. It keeps track of your winrate, your variance, your hourly rate, you can look at your income from any month, week, or day, among a million other things. There's no better tool for table selection(with a hud). If you are a "winning" poker player all the way up to 3/6, 75 bucks for PT/PA hud should not be a big deal. And it is definately +EV to have.
Old 12-11-2005, 03:00 AM

Betadecay,

You make excellent points in favor of purchasing Pokertracker. I sometimes have rationalized that adding more ingredients to my winning recipe will ruin my prize-winning pie ;-) Of course, that is a bunch of hogwash. Heck, just importing the 1,000 free hands on Pokertracker and reading MS Sunshine's analysis have been of positive benefit. Tinkering with the software has me convinced it's a sound product. I think, however, there's an opportunity cost of learning how to really exploit any product. The time I would devote to learning the nuances of Pokertracker and then habitually importing and analyzing countless hands would be substantial. That time could be devoted to winning money. I'm not a professional player and have substantial time constraints due to my health and full-time employment. Ok, then we come back to another convoluted rationalization ;-)

Seriously though, I know the $100 bucks I'd spend would probably be a sound decision even if it temporarily limits the time I currently play. However, as mentioned previously I'm prone to perfectionism and would probably be making a very large time committment. Perhaps a Pokertracker guru (such as yourself?) can offer some relevant insights on the time commitment I might be facing.

Thanks for the feedback,

JeffreyREBT "Wherein I don't promise to make you rich without trying, or even trying very hard; I do promise to say things that will make you FEEL rich."
Old 12-11-2005, 03:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, its the full Texas Hold Em version (although you could opt for the Omaha if you wanted).

I got mine through PSO. Of course, you will have to deposit into a poker room you don't have an account at, and clear the bonus requirements (# of hands/points)

[/ QUOTE ]

Is PT afilliatied with PSO directly? Can i depoist and clear a bonus at any room to get it?
Old 12-11-2005, 03:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Well, its the full Texas Hold Em version (although you
Is PT afilliatied with PSO directly? Can i depoist and clear a bonus at any room to get it?

[/ QUOTE ]
If you sign up for a room with PSO to get anything, it will preclude you ever getting rakeback from that room.
Old 12-11-2005, 04:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Well, its the full Texas Hold Em version (although you

[/ QUOTE ]
If you sign up for a room with PSO to get anything, it will preclude you ever getting rakeback from that room.

[/ QUOTE ]

So if i picked somewhere without rakeback, like Party for example, it would be a win win situation correct?
Old 12-11-2005, 04:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I sometimes have rationalized that adding more ingredients to my winning recipe will ruin my prize-winning pie ;-) However, as mentioned previously I'm prone to perfectionism and would probably be making a very large time committment. Perhaps a Pokertracker guru (such as yourself?) can offer some relevant insights on the time commitment I might be facing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry I am not a guru on the software. Have only had it a month and a half. The biggest thing it has helped me with is bankroll management and budgeting(I don't work, only play poker). So being able to see my hourly rate in cold numbers, along with knowing what limits, what days, and what times are the most profitable for me was a big help.

The PT/PA hud software didn't take more then a few hours to get use too. My play did suffer a bit while I became familiar with usiing the hud stats. I'm sure everyone has that adjustment phase. It also takes a while before your data becomes applicable. If you don't play as much you will definately need to datamine as often as you can.

I'm still learning to use the software, there are several PT tabs I have never even clicked on. I'm sure it will be a long time before I know how to utilize everything the software has to offer. Like you, if I have time to spend on the comp, I like to be playing.
Old 12-11-2005, 05:28 AM

Thanks for the feedback,

I think if I was playing as a full-time online professional I would purchase PT without much reservation. For one thing, I need the data for accounting purposes. Also, as you have indicated the statistics can unveil some nice little gems.

Right now, my profiling comes from notes I take while watching different players. I do write down the most salient characteristics of many players I encounter. This is a very profitable and important task. You can't really automate the finer nuances of an individuals play. However, I think aggregratimg thousands of players data could be of incredible value for some of the reasons you mentioned.

I wish you success in your newfound career as an online poker professional. If my health declines further I might be compelled to consider playing full-time. If I play full-time it's absolutely imperative to have accounting software and I think Pokertracker fits the bill based on the recommendations here.

I sometimes question my own ability even though I've had such sustainted substantial success. It would be interesting to have very detailed statistics and gain further insights into my own play and my opponents. If I do purchase Pokertracker (which might happen very soon) I'll use you as my referral if you wish ;-)