Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2005, 03:26 PM

Default Continuation Bets In SSNL

On a current downswing, I'm working on hole-plugging in my game so I'm hoping to get some discussion going on cash game continuation bets. I can't find a solid post in the archives directly on topic.

Most of my post-flop bets after my PFR are between 3/4 and pot sized. This is mostly due to the way the game normally plays with half pot bets being seen as weak and begging to be pushed around. Perhaps that is just my perception?

Reading HoH and HoH2 for tournament play, Harrington recommends near-half-pot bets (varied a bit of course) as the ideal c/b. This is assuming that you don't have a huge field of opponents to push through when you missed the flop. And, of course, your bets must be similar whether you hit or miss the flop.

Making half pot bets to try and take the pot, you must only be successful 1 in 3 times to break even. However, with half pot bets being seen as a sign of weakness at most SSNL games I've played, I've got to win 1 in 2-2.5 with 3/4 or pot sized bets. That's a big difference.

So, whats your c/b strategy and what limits are you using it on?

Currently i'm playing 100NL. My C/B's are 3/4 to pot sized. Standard donk rules apply, don't c/b a player who can't fold without a hand you're trying to extract value with. Otherwise, I'm c/b'ing around 3/4 times that I PFR, and never into a field of more than 3 opponents without a hand. I'm also starting to use the delayed c/b which is moderately successful (only used with position of course).
Old 11-27-2005, 03:50 PM

Default Re: Continuation Bets In SSNL

I usually bet 2/3 instead of full pot both with my missed hands and made hands. Agaist players with VPIP~40 who limp called preflop and I have a note on them that says they can be a calling station I like 1/2 of the pot... This is because he may very well call with gutshots, bottom pair etc, but will autofold when he misses completely, which is the case more than 50%. Against set miners or solid players who limp-called preflop or called in position I CB every facecard for 2/3 of the pot but I often check behind when the flop comes with rags, reasoning that he often has a pair. If I do decide to CB in this scenario, I also like a second barrel to tell him that I didn't have high cards, but a PP that beats his.

Also in the beginning of a session I sometimes like to check down missed high cards who will lose against a small PP so that my CBs may get more respect later in the session.
Old 11-27-2005, 04:01 PM

i play 50 and 100NL on full tilt.

I CB 2/3-3/4 pot everytime im in position and it is checked to me (exactly as i would do when i have a hand). I bet only 3/4 when im oop and was the PF raiser. However i only occassionally CB OOP with one to act after me. And if there are more than 1 PF caller after me I basically never CB without a hand of somesort.
Old 11-27-2005, 04:42 PM

Good responses so far.

As an add-on to the original question...

What if you get an super-aggro opponent who will mostly raise your c/b's on a non A flop and bet if you check to them?
Old 11-27-2005, 05:08 PM

My CBs are usually 1/2 pot size for non-draw flops, and 3/4-full on a draw-heavy flop. On draw heavy flops I often fire 3 barrels when I am pretty sure that he is on a draw (although I will significantly decrease the size of the river bet).

I have recently focused on trying to get the most value out of my hands, and this I feel is best done through 1/2 pot bets to build pots.
Old 11-27-2005, 05:12 PM

You should make sure you have position on him. I don't like to have an aggro player who likes to bluff at my left..

If you are in position it should be easier.. Let him bet your TP for you, and raise him with anything better. If you are gonna CB perhaps make it a small one? If he likes to come over the top alot he will start knowing that you know after a few hands and you can maybe three bet him on pure bluff? Also his thoughts of him knowing you know, should make him more scared of coming over the top. And if he is the type that never calls, you can probably pick up the pot with that small bet from time to time (~ 1/2 or 1/3 of the pot). Don't know how valid this advice is tho... I'm sure there are other approaches that might be better. I would suggest experimenting with different lines and see how he reacts and analyzing every hand that goes to SD.
Old 11-27-2005, 05:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Good responses so far.

As an add-on to the original question...

What if you get an super-aggro opponent who will mostly raise your c/b's on a non A flop and bet if you check to them?

[/ QUOTE ]

Just wait until you get a good hand and stack them. If you don't think that you can push someone out of the pot enough to make your c/b profitable, don't do it. Someone that is super-aggro in SSNL will eventually hang themself, because they are never any good.

I'd suggest pulling up stats for gone to showdown and won at showdown. I like these because they generally give me a good idea on how likely I'm going to be able to push someone out of the pot and what kinds of hands they will showdown.

Someone that is 11.32/76.34 (Went to showdown/Won at showdown) is a great type of player to c/b against. If they call you, you are behind and should shut it down because you are just going to lose money. Another player that is 67.52/19.68 is a horrible person to try to c/b against and you should just wait to get a decent/good hand and try to maximize the value of your bets.
Old 11-27-2005, 05:22 PM

Why do you bet on the river if you think he is on a draw? you can showdown your ace high (?) and win.

What I have done a few times is in a multiway pot when someone bets like half the pot on a flop with two cards of the same suit and I have A high, I make a potsized raise. This indicates more than one pair strength and someone with TP even may lay down their hand. If the original better now is the only caller I am pretty sure he is on a draw. When people bet weak on a flop (multiway) with two cards of the same suit they are often either drawing or has a weak hand (which will fold to your raise). If they check the turn I valuebet the pot for 2/3 or something. If the flushcard doesn't hit and they check, I check behind I cross my fingers they didn't make a pair on the way
Old 11-27-2005, 05:32 PM

I bet the river because there is still a decent chance that he hit one of his side-cards but will still fold to a river bet.
Old 11-27-2005, 05:47 PM

I do like the idea of using smaller bets, more like 1/2 pot, but I find that it is out of character with tables I play.

Watching an old WPT event with Stoltzmann v Chau Giang, Stoltzmann said "I thought you pros were supposed to play small pots with me", and "I'm looking to get in coin flip situations with you to avoid getting outplayed". Obviously JS is a smart young player and he recognizes the pros are better than him post-flop through experience.

Since 2+2ers on average should have an edge on the typical SSNL player, should we be trying to play smaller pots? If so, 1/2 pot bets are ideal even if aggro players see it as weakness and play back a bit more.

I also like your idea about using 1/2 on non-drawy boards and 3/4 on draw heavy ones DoomSlice.

I'll throw a spike in the conversation and add, what about probe bets?

Keep it up guys, great content.