Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-2005, 02:38 PM

Default Any way out?

Live tourney, 3/6 blinds, my stack is 46. SB's stack is ~80. Average stack: 60.

BB (me): 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
SB: 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Preflop: Everyone folds to SB, who raises to 26. I go all-in. SB calls.

Flop: 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Turn: J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
River: 10 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

SB takes pot with flush. Said he was getting 4-to-1 (actually closer to 3.5-to-1) for the call on my all-in. Said he put me on overcards only.

My question: Was there any way for me to A)Win the pot by waiting to go all-in on the flop; or B)Get away from my hand?
Old 07-22-2005, 03:04 PM

Default Re: Any way out?

Spend more time whining about bad beats so you spend less time at the tables... Then you'll play fewer hands and fewer people will draw out on you
Old 07-22-2005, 03:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Spend more time whining about bad beats so you spend less time at the tables... Then you'll play fewer hands and fewer people will draw out on you

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not nice. I'm not whining, I realize bad beats are a part of the game. I'm just wondering if there actually was a way for me to win this pot or get away from my hand.
Old 07-22-2005, 03:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]

My question: Was there any way for me to A)Win the pot by waiting to go all-in on the flop;

[/ QUOTE ]
No, if you call pre-flop you won't get a chance to push on the flop because you will have to call an all-in by the SB.

[ QUOTE ]
B)Get away from my hand?

[/ QUOTE ]
Do you have any reads on SB? Is raising 3.3xBB standard steal with stacks at only 8-14 BB? If it screams strength (based on your read), get away from it.

I happily push and double up 80% of time (with this bluff...)

pokenum -h 9c 9d - 5s 2h
Holdem Hi: 1712304 enumerated boards
cards win %win lose %lose tie %tie EV
9c 9d 1437290 83.94 263458 15.39 11556 0.67 0.843
5s 2h 263458 15.39 1437290 83.94 11556 0.67 0.157
Old 07-22-2005, 04:33 PM

Nope. Your play is fine.

SB's steal attempt is mendacious and your push was correct.

It's a shame that mendacious people ever get anywhere in the world. But on situations where the good guys are 86/14 favorites, the Villains get away with it 14% of the time. In this case, you got your money in with the odds way in your favor, and that's about all one can try to do. With 99 in particular, there's almost no flop that would have given you better odds -- and the prospect of action.

In general, play for appropriate stakes so that the periodic bad beat won't ruin your bankroll or your temperament. It sounds like the stakes were OK vis a vis your bankroll. The temperament is up to you.
Old 07-22-2005, 06:18 PM

No you cannot hope for no over cards with 9-9. I think you did as well as you could. Idiots happen!!! It would take an enormous read to not go broke even if you just called his raise. You flop an over pair and have 60% of your chips in there. You are screwed.
Old 07-23-2005, 03:26 PM

Your only out is a lightning bolt to your opponent, making you the default winner of the pot. ... on second thought, I wonder what the actual ruling is in that case.
Old 07-23-2005, 04:32 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">Svar till:</font><hr />
</font><blockquote><font class="small">Svar till:</font><hr />

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not nice. I'm not whining, I realize bad beats are a part of the game. I'm just wondering if there actually was a way for me to win this pot or get away from my hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

No. First you shouldnt strive to get away from this hand and secondly he did a big mistake by calling your all-in which you should be happy with. What happends next is beyond your control. You made the correct decision and that is what matters in the long run.
Old 07-23-2005, 05:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No. First you shouldnt strive to get away from this hand and secondly he did a big mistake by calling your all-in which you should be happy with. What happends next is beyond your control. You made the correct decision and that is what matters in the long run.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very well put, Komodo.

EDIT: This is a results-oriented post. If I said that I re-raised an opponent all-in preflop with 99 and he flipped up 52s, then asked you if I did the right thing, you wouldn't hesistate to congratulate me on reeling in the little fishie.