Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-04-2005, 09:02 PM

Default Question on 7 stud starting hands???

I've been playing 7stud for about a month now on pokerstars where the ante is .05 and the bets are .5/1. I'm wondering if there are starting hand guidelines to sort of go by. My %saw4th street is usually about %40. I feel like that is rather high since I am a holdem player, usually playing about 20% of the hands.

Another question...Is there any software similar to PT that can be used for stud??
Old 07-04-2005, 09:07 PM

Default Re: Question on 7 stud starting hands???

40% is ridiculously high I think. Especially with this small of an ante. Big Pairs are good hands, 3 flushes, 3 straights. Basically, keep track of the exposed cards because that makes a big difference. If you have a pair of tens, but both tens are gone, your hand isn't worth much at all. If you have a 3 flush, but three of your suit are out, your hand is worth alot less. I suggest you read SS1 and 7CSFAP. Stud is complicated, and those books make it alot easier! Good luck to you sir. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-04-2005, 09:47 PM

play a lot tighter. 40% is more than how much i do in stud8, and i'm a lot looser in stud 8.

but im a newb. these guys are smart and can probably help you more than i can.
Old 07-04-2005, 10:43 PM

Which book is SS1? I have a pretty good understanding of poker in general, just rather new to 7stud. Would you recommend the 7CSFAP or starting with something more basic? I'm probably only going to be playing low limit online games. I saw in another post that most of the stuff in 7csfap wouldn't even apply at these low limit tables. Any suggestions???
Old 07-04-2005, 10:54 PM

SS1 is the original super system. I recommend reading Theory Of Poker, 7CSFAP, especially the section on loose games, and then posting hands. I think that is all you need. SS1 too. Read TOP, SS1, 7CSFAP, in that order. Then just play, and post hands, ask questions here. That is all that is needed.
Old 07-04-2005, 11:06 PM

Werd...

40% is too high.. I hope you've been runnning good and crushing the game though.. If I were you, i'd shoot for around 25%ish.. The game is probably somewhat passive, right?

So, live pairs with live kickers. Live 3 flushes. Live 3 str8s. Playing this way on third will have you playing with the big boys in no time.. As you move your way up, you will have to narrow the pairs down to big pairs, or pairs with sweet kickers.

Remember, the decision on third street is the most important decision we make in 7 stud. Good luck, post a few hands.
Old 07-04-2005, 11:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Werd...

40% is too high.. I hope you've been runnning good and crushing the game though.. If I were you, i'd shoot for around 25%ish.. The game is probably somewhat passive, right?

So, live pairs with live kickers. Live 3 flushes. Live 3 str8s. Playing this way on third will have you playing with the big boys in no time.. As you move your way up, you will have to narrow the pairs down to big pairs, or pairs with sweet kickers.

Remember, the decision on third street is the most important decision we make in 7 stud. Good luck, post a few hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dunno why but the pairs with the sweet kickers just set me off. Thanks dude. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-04-2005, 11:36 PM

I don't know if anyone caught my second question, but I was wondering if there is any software comparable to PT that is used for 7stud. ??
Old 07-05-2005, 12:44 AM

Forty percent is way too high. 20-25% is probably about right, maybe a shade lower in a tight or tough game.

Sounds like you're an experienced poker player, so I wouldn't bother with anything other than 7CS4AP. There is some stuff that won't apply much, like the stuff about ante stealing, but much of it will be very instructive.
Old 07-05-2005, 08:24 AM

Yes there is: http://www.trackyourstack.com/

The software is new and still rough around the edges. I spoke with the owner of the website and he told me they are planning significant upgrades in the future. I am waiting for that to happen before I purchase it.