Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2005, 03:48 PM

Default My review of Star Wars: A New Hope (first time id ever seen it)

As many of you know, I've never seen the original movies up to this point and am just starting to go back and view them now.

I decided to create a movie review for the SW fans out there, figuring that you might be interested in the thoughts of someone seeing the movie for the first time, in a newer generation, after seeing the masterpieces Lucas created within the past decade.

If anyone wants me to write my review on Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi, let me know.

-----

When seeing the opening scene for the first time, the battle between those two starships, I had to feel impressed by the graphical presentation that Lucas presented to us 30 years ago. The graphics were certainly not quite as good as they are today, but impressive nonetheless, if only for the fact that they were so ahead of their time.

As the movie progresses, I realize that this digitally remastered DVD has encorporated so many new graphics that the originals didn't have. This became apparent to me when Jaba the Hut presented himself early in the movie. Knowing this, I wish I would have gotten to see this movie when it was first presented to the audience, 30 years ago, when the feeling of entering the unknown becomes present. When not knowing what the story would bring, when not knowing what the leading technologies of movie production would present to us. I will unfortunately never experience that, I can only imagine. However, I can certainly understand why it is that this movie was such a success despite the fact that it is of poor quality compared to today's standards.

Just as most movies of their generation, this movie has problems with the plot. It also has problems with the direction and pace of the dialogue. If I were sitting in the audience 3 decades ago watching this movie, I may not have had such a problem with the storyline. My predispositions of what to expect did not live up to their expectations.

Luke Skywalker, a young man, clueless of the force, is suddenly taken by (Ben?) Obi-Wan Kenobi in quick fashion to battle the dark side on their own turf. Not only that, but he has Han Solo and Chewy come along with him to combat the Empire without their knowing of this. While on their ship destined to Death Star's base, Luke is given a quick introduction on how to use the force to control his light saber. Luke is of course a natural, but his training was short and clearly not enough to expect him to combat dozens and dozens of clones. His training should have been extended for a longer period of time, for realism purposes along with entertainment value.

When landing on Death Star's mothership, the crew is ready for battle. There appears to be atmost 50 Empire warriors on this ship, despite the fact that there should be thousands. Darth Vader immediately senses Obi-Wan's presence. You would have figured that he would have summoned the allegiance of his army to try and search him out.

Despite the fact that the clone warrios are in short number, I don't think it would matter if Luke and Han had to battle a thousand of these guys. These clone can't shoot for ****. These clones, clones that were composed of the DNA possessed by an elite fighter, clones that were trained all their life to serve in the army, can't land a direct shot despite standing 10 feet in front of their target with a direct line.

In one scene, when Luke and the Princess run out onto a ledge of some sort, jamming the door behind them to escape the clones, is a great example of the Death Star's inept combat skills. Aside from the fact that the enemy couldn't shoot them with a direct line of sight, when the clones manage to open the bottom of the door but it remains jammed, rather than just stick their guns under the door and fry the two runaways, they foolishly try to continue opening the door.

All the while, Obi-Wan manages to search out Darth Vader and enters a swordfight with him. The sword fight is rather unimpressive now that I have been spoiled with the new sword fights presented by Lucas in his presequels. If I were seeing this 30 years ago however, I would be amazed by the bright light of the sabers.

During the middle of the the battle, Obi-Wan mysteriously vanishes. I was certainly not expecting this. Where did he go? Did he die? Is he invisible? No, apparently his ghost haunts Luke throughout the rest of the movie, telling him to listen to the force. This doesn't make any sense to me. Why did Obi do this? Why did he search out the battle with Darth in the first place if this were his intentions?

When the crew escapes back to their rebel camp, Han Solo isn't even mad that he was brought into this battle without his permission. Despite his selfish ways, he seems that he could care less.

The rebel's decide to devise an attack against the Empire, and Luke acts as if he's been in the Jedi business for years. When they fly out to the mothership, the fight scenes between ships are relatively impressive. After they destroy the majority of enemy ships, Luke somehow sends a missle into a cabinet of the mothership and the mothership explodes into pieces. This scene really didn't make a whole lot of sense to me, but I suppose that it's mildly believable considering the technology they would have in this era.

The movie ends, everyone celebrates. Darth Vader escapes however, and I am left with a feeling of unsatisfaction. The storyline was underdeveloped and somewhat juvenile.

Hopefully the next two episodes will prove to be much better. I imagine that they will. I know that this will never happen, but Lucas should remake episodes 4, 5 and 6. It definitely needs a bit of a facelift, and they would certainly be awesome when produced through this age's technology.
Old 05-21-2005, 03:53 PM

Default Re: My review of Star Wars: A New Hope (first time id ever seen it)

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />
Luke somehow sends a missle into a cabinet of the mothership and the mothership explodes into pieces. This scene really didn't make a whole lot of sense to me, but I suppose that it's mildly believable considering the technology they would have in this era.

[/ QUOTE ]

did you even watch this movie? are you sure?
Old 05-21-2005, 03:58 PM

honestly, my attention span was starting to drift when approaching this scene. i was getting bored with the whole action sequence. all the sudden i see luke shoot out this pink missle into some part of the ship and it all explodes. if you could elaborate this part for me id appreciate it.
Old 05-21-2005, 03:59 PM

It was an exhaust pipe to the power core at the center of the death star
Old 05-21-2005, 04:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
honestly, my attention span was starting to drift when approaching this scene. i was getting bored with the whole action sequence. all the sudden i see luke shoot out this pink missle into some part of the ship and it all explodes. if you could elaborate this part for me id appreciate it.

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean you want Daryn to basically explain the entire last half of the movie?
Old 05-21-2005, 04:05 PM

just seems like you read the cliff notes or something

maybe watch it again
Old 05-21-2005, 04:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
after seeing the masterpieces Lucas created within the past decade.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, are you saying that you started with episode 1, and then proceeded to wait until 3 came out, and then watched a New Hope?

I had a friend in high school who was planning to do the same thing, but I have since lost touch with him.
Old 05-21-2005, 04:42 PM

No offense, but you don't seem to understand some of the basic plot elements which were actually explained pretty clearly during the course of the film.
Old 05-21-2005, 04:44 PM

yah this is what i did. nice troll account btw. gave me a laugh.
Old 05-21-2005, 04:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
nice troll account btw. gave me a laugh.

[/ QUOTE ]

TY. I indend to post with this in all of your threads, but only when I would have posted with CMI.

Also... I am curious to hear your thoughts on ESB and RotJ.