Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2005, 01:36 PM

Default Re: Putting Coke in Freezer to cool faster?

[ QUOTE ]
The freezer is cold, for sure, so yeah.

Better yet is to get ice water mixed with salt. If you do this, the water gets much colder (freezing point depression) and the fact that it's liquid on the metal can gives you better heat transfer than the freezer.

[/ QUOTE ]

They did this test on Myth Busters last season. They were trying to determine the quickest way to chill beer. The myth was that you could chill beer the quickest by burying it in sand, pouring gasoline on the sand, then lighting the gasoline on fire. The theory was that the fire would draw the heat out of the sand and chill the beer. Predictably, all they ended up with was beer cans that smelled like gasoline containing beer that wasn't any colder.

They also tested a bunch of other ways to chill beer in order to find the best method. The best method by far was to use saltwater and ice.
Old 09-09-2005, 01:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Have one friend jump in a pool of 50-degree water and the other in a pool of 35-degree water and see which gets hypothermia first.

[/ QUOTE ]

Prop bet? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
My money's on the tennis pro.

Clearly the question should be whether it is harder to drink a gallon of milk that has been in the freezer for 15 minutes than one that has been in the fridge.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does he have to benchpress his bodyweight while doing it?
Old 09-09-2005, 01:40 PM

It definitely cools faster in the freezer.

However, the thermal conductivity of air is very small. I'm not sure if this was the reason that your friend was thinking that it wouldn't be faster. It still will be, but there's an even faster way.

The thermal conductivity of solids/liquids is much greater. This is why putting the soda into a cold water bath with ice (i.e. in a cooler) will chill it much much faster than fridge or freezer.
Old 09-09-2005, 01:40 PM

Do your friends have one of those weird freezers that are actually warmer than the fridge? Do they not know the difference between hot and cold? Do they believe the fridge and the freezer are magical black boxes?

I suggest a prop bet involving two identical cans of pop (yes, pop), a thermometer, a refridgerator, and a freezer set to a temperature noticeably colder than the refridgerator. Be sure to have the experiment run for a long enough time to get significant cooling, but not long enough to reach stable temperature. Maybe you'd be well-served to heat the pop up a bit in order to give yourself a greater temperature gradient and more obvious results. It also might be interesting to have another prop bet to see which can heats up faster - the one above the burner on low and the one above the burner at max power. It might also be entertaining if watched from a distance and with the proper safety equipment. A third bit of fun could be to superheat the pop cans and quench them in a bucket of ice. The possibilities are endless if you've got a couple idiots willing to carry them out.

If you'll let me get in on the betting, I'd like to wager a significant amount of money on the freezer cooling the pop faster than the refridgerator.
Old 09-09-2005, 01:43 PM

What was the experiement? Everyone knows hot water freezes faster.
Old 09-09-2005, 01:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What was the experiement? Everyone knows hot water freezes faster.

[/ QUOTE ]

read my edit. I think he actually may have heard it from a friend and I talking about it. He was really suprised I was against him on this. I got him to break the parameters which allow the Mpemba effect to occur.
Old 09-09-2005, 01:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There are many sudies about this and in fact many do show that warmer water DOES in fact freeze faster than colder water SOMETIMES depending on the situations. This is called the Mpemba effect.

[/ QUOTE ]
Can you elaborate? Or I guess I could google.
Old 09-09-2005, 01:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Its not a question of "is the fridge faster", its "is the freezer noticeably quicker". Since the differance in temperature is around like 17 degrees, it has been argued (normally by the smarter of the two people arguing which is what threw me initially) that the differance is negligable. It has also been claimed ( and i have no idea the truth to this) that the aluminum can limits the speed at which heat can be drawn out, meaning unless the temperature differential was much greater, there would be no differance. As people apparently aren't convinced by "its colder, duh" i was hoping someone knew a more scientiffic/detailed explanation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Someone is thinking too much.

This should help.

Does stuff cool faster in the freezer than in the fridge?
Old 09-09-2005, 01:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
There are many sudies about this and in fact many do show that warmer water DOES in fact freeze faster than colder water SOMETIMES depending on the situations. This is called the Mpemba effect.

[/ QUOTE ]
Can you elaborate? Or I guess I could google.

[/ QUOTE ]

Look here
Old 09-09-2005, 02:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Mpemba effect

[/ QUOTE ]

That's it - couldn't think of it.

<- now forgotten nearly everything I've learned, and hard-pressed to bet 5 cents water is wet (which it really isn't very, BTW).