Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2005, 02:42 PM

Default Re: Donkiest play ever?

this particular opponent is pretty darn tight....his flop and turn bets are basically blocking bets. While my image at the time was laggish he's played with me a bunch and lays down to my raises with all but the strongest of hands
Old 07-11-2005, 02:48 PM

Why'd you call that river? That bet pretty much screamed, "I have a jack." If he was truly a predictable TAG as you stated, wouldn't that river have scared him if he had AQ, ESPECIALLY since you were calling down the whole way? If you're not going to re-pop the flop or the turn, why call a sizeable bet when the last card you wanted to see (aside from a diamond perhaps) comes on the river? What do you think the Villain put YOU on?
Old 07-11-2005, 03:15 PM

After turn he's probably check/folding the river, regardless of what hits. It doesn't matter if he folds to a raise somewhere, slowplaying here is terrible for metagame purposes, particularly short-handed.

And right, a tight player wouldn't value bet two pair here for $300. From the likes of it, he might throw out a smaller blocking bet again.

BTW, I really hope you mucked afterwards.
Old 07-11-2005, 03:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why'd you call that river?

[/ QUOTE ]

See thread title

[ QUOTE ]
That bet pretty much screamed, "I have a jack." If he was truly a predictable TAG as you stated, wouldn't that river have scared him if he had AQ, ESPECIALLY since you were calling down the whole way?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, while he may have made another blocking bet with AQ, i don't think he would have bet that much and may have checked. I was pretty sure he had a jack but i was getting 2-1 and i thought i saw some sincere hesitation before he bet and was not sure what it meant. Plus, i'm often stubborn (leak)...I probably should not have called although i do think it's pretty close.

Edit: By the way....i was almost certain that he did not have diamonds
Old 07-11-2005, 03:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It doesn't matter if he folds to a raise somewhere, slowplaying here is terrible for metagame purposes, particularly short-handed.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree....Sometimes i call with draws or very marginal hands. I want my opponents to know that i could also be calling with a monster. Even if the board is scary. (although this is very rare for me)

[ QUOTE ]
And right, a tight player wouldn't value bet two pair here for $300. From the likes of it, he might throw out a smaller blocking bet again.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed

[ QUOTE ]
BTW, I really hope you mucked afterwards.

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean after i called and he showed me his jack? yes, i said "nice hand" and folded without showing. but i do think he know's he got lucky
Old 07-11-2005, 03:40 PM

Perhaps. I was thinking that the fact this is a draw-heavy board actually makes your slowplay better. On a completely dry board, I think you should continue playing fast.

I'm only saying that if you feel like you've been playing too aggro and the table is ready to fight back, this is a perfect time to continue playing fast.
Old 07-11-2005, 11:20 PM

All I am going to say is there are much better boards than ATK to slow play on.

SpaceAce
Old 07-12-2005, 12:14 AM

even if he does fold, its better to pick up the pot there than let him draw out on you. In addition to this,playing it ur wayin the future when u raise the flop he will now know u dont have a monster. Only sandbag when u know there's almost no chance of u being outdrawn and u were not the initial raiser and u know ur opponent will continue to bluff or bet his decent hand very strongly until raised.
Old 07-12-2005, 12:35 AM

Yes but the point is that since this is a draw-heavy board, your only hope of getting a decent amount of money out of Villain is to flat-call twice and rep a busted flush draw on the river. aggie felt his read of a weak/vulnerable hand (and not a big drawing hand) was correct, so I think we can assume Villain is probably drawing to a gutshot here. It's worth it to risk seeing those 4 cards in the deck in hopes that you can gank him for a 75%ish pot sized bet on the river.
Old 07-12-2005, 12:37 AM

Punting cats is fun. Punting babies is bliss.

In other news, i agree with thabadguy on the hand.

been playing too long...
sox