Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2005, 06:11 PM

Default Winning Low-Limit Hold\'em Third Edition by Lee Jones

In the Intelligent Gambler, a ConjelCo publication, there is a decription of a new book by Lee Jones, Winning Low-Limit Hold'em third edition. If it's better than his previous book it is a must have. Does anyone have any information on this book? ConjelCo is apparently the publisher.
Old 06-24-2005, 07:01 PM

Default Re: Winning Low-Limit Hold\'em Third Edition by Lee Jones

Lee Jones posted this in the CP forums earlier this week:

Hi all -
I thank all of you who recommended my book, Winning Low Limit Hold'em. I'm delighted to announce that we've recently released the third edition.

You can get it at (my publisher)

www.conjelco.com

or at Amazon:

http://tinyurl.com/adrr7

Please note that Amazon seems to be supremely incompetent at getting the book correct in their database, so searches that should find it (e.g. on my name) won't. We've argued with them about this, and so far have met with little success.

Anyway, as regards the book itself...

I honestly hadn't planned on doing a third edition this soon (if ever), but as
you're all aware, somebody hit the Fast Forward button on the poker industry.

Big changes in the new edition:

1. Barry Tanenbaum was kind enough to go over the entire strategy section with a fine-toothed comb. I've made a bunch of changes based on his recommendations, and I think those chapters are now better, clearer, and will give you extra expected value.

2. Because of the huge popularity (and profitability) of no-limit hold'em sit
and go's, I wrote three chapters about those. My friend and former colleague Terrence Chan consulted on that section and it's, IMHO,
ground-breaking work. I'm not aware of anything like it in print and there are some exciting numbers about how much money you can make playing NLH S&Gs.

3. I've cleaned up the prose a lot - removing words like "almost" and
"probably". Barry pointed out that those words were useless unless i told you what the exceptions were. So either I told you what the exceptions were or simply took out the equivocal language. The fact is that the exceptional cases account for a tiny fraction of your earnings. So particularly for novices, there's no reason to confuse them with those exceptions.

4. There's a brand new cover designed by poker player and graphic artist Melissa Hayden. Even has my picture and quotes from Greg Raymer and Antonio Esfandiari on the back (along with a cherished quote I got from Chris Ferguson for the second edition). And the foreword is written by actor, writer, blogger, and poker junkie Wil Wheaton.

And we haven't even raised the price!

By the way, in regards to the complaint that the book is "weak-tight", I have two points to make:

1. Because of Barry Tanenbaum's input, the book advocates giving up less after the flop than previous editions.

2. I still recommend folding more than, say, Ed Miller does. That's because almost all hold'em players, and particularly newbies, tend to go too far in hands. They call too much before the flop, and find too many creative excuses to see a turn card. If you're heads-up against a single player, then yes, you have to be fairly persistent postflop. But against multiple opponents (especially more than two), it's expensive to stick aroudn with marginal hands.

But the bottom line is that I think the third edition is by far the best of the three, and I hope you'll go buy a copy.

Regards,
Lee Jones
Old 06-24-2005, 07:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1. Barry Tanenbaum was kind enough to go over the entire strategy section with a fine-toothed comb.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is a big mark in the book's favor.
Old 06-24-2005, 07:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
4. There's a brand new cover designed by poker player and graphic artist Melissa Hayden.

[/ QUOTE ]
Wow.... the cover looks totally awesome.

[/end super deadpan sarcasm]
Old 06-24-2005, 07:46 PM

The book was mentioned on the PokerStars website I think.

It said that future orders made with FPP's will be getting the 3rd edition.
I went to the FPP store and it still said '2nd edition' (and even had a pic of the 2nd edition cover) but I ordered it anyway just in hopes that I'll get the 3rd edition.
If they send me the 2nd edition I'll point-out what they said on the web-site and demand a replacement.

Anyway, I'm just getting it because I'm curious about the changes he has made...and because his SNG strategy could be an interesting read as well.

I don't even have my copy of the 2nd edition anymore...I loaned it to a friend several months ago and haven't gotten it back.
Old 06-24-2005, 08:21 PM

The shoulda gone with something more creative, like:
A) A poker hand and a gun.
B) A picture of the author and a bullet-style listing of each chapter in Times New Roman.
Old 06-24-2005, 08:32 PM

Blurb from Jesus:

[ QUOTE ]
"Don't read this book! If everyone followed the instructions in this book I'd have to find a new line of work. P.S. If you see a long haired homeless guy sleeping on a park bench, please give him a dollar."

-- Chris Ferguson, Champion, 2000 World Series of Poker

[/ QUOTE ]

That's kind of silly.
Old 06-24-2005, 08:34 PM

Actually it's so stupid that if I was the author, I wouldn't include it in the book.
Old 06-24-2005, 08:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Actually it's so stupid that if I was the author, I wouldn't include it in the book.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, really. Much better to have a back cover filled with quotes like:

"Winning Low Limit Hold 'em is a superb book, and Lee Jones is a great guy." - Bill Fillmaff

"You won't find a better book than Winning Low Limit Holdem, and you won't find a greater guy than Lee Jones." - Joey Joe Joe Shabadoo

"Lee Jones really outdid himself with Winning Low Limit Holdem. And in addition to that, he's a great, great guy." - Mike Sexton

"Read this book and you'll be able to rip your opponents apart so haaahd, you'll take everyfin they have! EVERYFIN!" - Tony G

"Just keep publishing new editions when my books are a 3-to-1 favorite to outsell yours. Donkeys always revise and republish." -Phil Hellmuth

"Friggin' waste of trees." - Ed Miller
Old 06-24-2005, 10:32 PM

Actually, question..Im just starting on Pokerstars...do u collect FPPs at a pretty decent pace? Some places you accrue points rather quickly...Im only asking as PS has the best points store.

(Wow does this question sound retarded)