Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2005, 11:20 PM

Default Overpair with backdoor straight draw on turn, Correct Play?

PokerStars 0.02/0.04 Hold'em (6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls, Button calls, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (5 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, UTG checks, CO checks, Button checks.

Turn: (2.50 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, CO calls, Button calls, SB calls, Hero calls.

River: (7.50 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, CO calls, Button folds, SB folds, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 10.50 BB

Again, was this the correct play?
Old 03-25-2005, 11:29 PM

Default Re: Played Straight Draw, Correct Play?

You're not playing a straight draw here. You're playing top pair with a decent kicker. You need to be betting all the way. Get a copy of Lee Jones' "Winning Low-Limit Hold 'Em" or some other book that introduces you to poker basics. Read it, then hit the tables. Good luck! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 03-25-2005, 11:29 PM

bet the flop, bet the turn and call a raise if there is one. if no raise, bet the river, if there was a raise, then check/call the river.
Old 03-25-2005, 11:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You're not playing a straight draw here. You're playing top pair with a decent kicker. You need to be betting all the way. Get a copy of Lee Jones' "Winning Low-Limit Hold 'Em" or some other book that introduces you to poker basics. Read it, then hit the tables. Good luck! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, I mucked up the subject. I fixed it now. I've been reading/rereading WLLH, but I don't really have enough experience to apply it correctly yet. Or enough practice calculating odds.
Old 03-25-2005, 11:58 PM

Default Re: Overpair with backdoor straight draw on turn, Correct Play?

yea please bet this hand on flop and turn.
Old 03-26-2005, 12:34 AM

Default Re: Overpair with backdoor straight draw on turn, Correct Play?

Bet the flop and turn, if raised on the turn, check/call the river.
Old 03-26-2005, 12:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, I mucked up the subject. I fixed it now. I've been reading/rereading WLLH, but I don't really have enough experience to apply it correctly yet. Or enough practice calculating odds.

[/ QUOTE ]

Go to page 72 of WLLH, your kicker is pretty good. You don't need to calculate odds. You need to get overcards to fold by making it incoorect for them to call. What if the turn were an A, K or Q? You don't want to let Kx see the turn for free do you? You've probably got the best hand here. Bet. Keep betting it. Don't stop betting until you are raised, then check/call.

I need to know, did you think you were behind on the flop?
Old 03-26-2005, 12:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Go to page 72 of WLLH, your kicker is pretty good. You don't need to calculate odds. You need to get overcards to fold by making it incoorect for them to call. What if the turn were an A, K or Q? You don't want to let Kx see the turn for free do you? You've probably got the best hand here. Bet. Keep betting it. Don't stop betting until you are raised, then check/call.

I need to know, did you think you were behind on the flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope! There was no action preflop, I assumed I was ahead with a pair of jacks.

When the A fell on the turn, I still thought I was ahead.

Thank you for the page reference, gonna read that right now.
Old 03-26-2005, 01:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh?
Old 03-26-2005, 01:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh?

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh my gosh, Sorry. Got confused, wrong hand.
Yes, I thought I was ahead. In retrospect, I realize I should have bet the flop.