Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2004, 01:40 PM

Default trips with a paired board

Just curious how most people go about playing them and what criteria they use to decide to bet or trap. They are one of the most transparent hands and difficult to get payed off. This also is why these situations create such a good bluffing opportunities. Generally, If im in the blinds and am lucky enough to flop trips with a pair on board i try to make it seem like i am representing trips so that someone may think im bluffing and give excess action. Obviously the rank of the third card has a big affect as your more likely to get action if someone has flopped a big pair.
just curious what lines others like to take with these hands as i dont think im getting paid off as much as i should.
ty
matty
Old 10-31-2004, 12:17 AM

Default Re: trips with a paired board

in no-limit i'll bet small or even check if in early position...you really want them to draw to a hand so you dont want to push them out too early. of course you cant do this everytime against every player, diffrent players will catch on to diffrent tricks, you just need to know which one to pull out of the bag at the right time
-tb houston
Old 10-31-2004, 02:05 AM

I would think it would depend on how much is already in the pot due to pre-flop raises and such, how drawish the board is, how my opponents have been playing, and how I've been playing.
Old 10-31-2004, 10:01 PM

I almost always bet it out. The only time I will check is if in a late position, and the "other card" most likley paired the opponent. For example- If I had A6o and the board came 66K, I might trap an opponent with a king. But if the board has flush or straight draw possibilities, I rarley slow play it.

But ... this only works for me because Im an aggressive player. This wouldnt work for you if you're "Mr. Tight".
Old 11-01-2004, 08:37 AM

It depends how you play when you don't have trips. At limit I like to bet out about 30-50% of the time that I've paired the lone card or got two overcards, and 100% of the time I have an overpair. With that style, I think betting out with trips is mandatory to create doubt.
Old 11-01-2004, 01:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
trips with a paired board

[/ QUOTE ]

Kind of redundant isn't this? Is there any other way to have "trips"? Keeping in mind that a "set" occurs when your pocket pair makes three-of-a-kind the with the board...

Now, in answer to your question: every hand is different. It depends on your image, the other players at the table, how many are in the hand, who's in the hand...yadda, yadda, yadda.

Try posting individual hands in the appropriate forum(s) - and I'm being sincere here.

Adam