Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2004, 12:27 PM

Default Re: Maybe This Will Help - Re: The Zoo

[ QUOTE ]
A problem with a thread like this is that it is a popularity contest rather than guidelines. For example critters have to have guidelines when they get their feed.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe you are correct. That is why a "rating system" is fundamentally flawed. Think of these examples:

1. A new, unrated poster makes a poker strategy post. What happens? Even though he is unrated, if the post is in earnest, it will get consideration. I assume the merits of the strategy will get discussed, and all potential flaws will be pointed out, then defended and debated. This is the case with just about every other forum on this board.

The nature of the post prevents ad hominem discussion, as the merits of the post are considered.

2. Now, say its a non-poker (or gambling) related post. What would happen? The self-correcting measures of the above scenario are not available. I believe, from there, it would degenerate into TT's contemplated "popularity contest."

Think about it. I've seen plenty of self-acknowledged "O/T" posts here, by "respected" posters with 1,000's of posts. Furthermore, I've seen silly, troll-like posts and shill-like posts from these same posters. What is the real difference with these posters that does not seem to cause an outrage?

The number of posts.

Objectively, I see the same stuff from new and old ON THE INTERNET GAMBLING FORUM... really, very little difference. It's just that the silly stuff from the old posters is more accepted because they have been around, are accepted for the most part, people know them better and tend to understand their sense of humor (inside jokes certainly carry further in that regard).

So, you have a rating system .. this just creates a defacto social club. I like the tree house analogy from the JEK thread - "No girls allowed."

Its the same thing.

I started this thread to see what would happen ... nothing much. People can list names, but really, where are the arguments for banning anyone? I have identified a few, isolated cases in the past ... but for the most part, its not really worth it.

One stated reason for banning is "to remove clutter."

How much goddamn clutter do these "let's clean up The Zoo" threads take. Its all a waste of time.

If the trolls were ignored, they would have no incentive to continue. Every time one of these clean up the Zoo threads springs up, it justs fuels the fire for more.

FINALLY, remember, each board needs an outlet ... a sh!t can, if you will. Well, The Zoo serves as 2+2's sh!t can. In other words, there is no incentive to "clean up" the zoo, because The Zoo cleans up the rest of 2+2 ... Think about that.

Of course, this is only a byproduct of The Zoo's real purpose ... but again, the dissemination and discussion of internet gambling seems to progress rather nicely. NOBODY IS GETTING CHEATED out of important bonus information, etc. because of the fact a few zany posters run amuck.
Old 09-24-2004, 01:40 PM

Remember, this is the ZOO.

Correction - it used to be. It is now a shadow of what it used to be, and there is nothing you or anybody else can do to recover the essence of what made the zoo so great.

Scratch the name and start again. Don't bother trying to get back to what it was - ain't gonna happen.
Old 09-24-2004, 01:41 PM

I disagree with this statement:

[ QUOTE ]
FINALLY, remember, each board needs an outlet ... a sh!t can, if you will. Well, The Zoo serves as 2+2's sh!t can. In other words, there is no incentive to "clean up" the zoo, because The Zoo cleans up the rest of 2+2 ... Think about that.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Zoo, IMHO, is the most valuable forum on 2+2. The money that is made from bonuses and information relating to bonuses, Neteller, etc. is very valuable. I have also had many computer technical problems, upgrades and spyware/virus questions answered. I guess the affiliate posting opportunities are troll magnets?

Thank you,

Jim Kuhn
Catfish4U
[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Old 09-24-2004, 01:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the World Poker Tour etc. forum is about to take that title.
Old 09-24-2004, 02:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Remember, this is the ZOO.

Correction - it used to be. It is now a shadow of what it used to be, and there is nothing you or anybody else can do to recover the essence of what made the zoo so great.

Scratch the name and start again. Don't bother trying to get back to what it was - ain't gonna happen.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate to say it but I agree 100%. The sad thing is that this new guard will never know how good it was. Just like the new guard will never know how tough the games were before the WPT.

Well Simon you could impose your will and start professional wrestling internet forum.
Old 09-24-2004, 02:16 PM

Oh I exist, and yet I don't exist.

I gladly accept banning, as long as all of my other personalities (Steven Punk, Terry Funk, Fatbottomed Girls, etc.) are banned along with me. It will be a grand renovayshun to the forum.

P.S. I really don't own a castle - I live in a refrigerator box.
Old 09-24-2004, 02:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The problem with calling out trolls publicly is that its a sure way to make sure half of your posts over the next month or two will be followed by said troll. Really annoying.

That being said, is there any need for Big Mo?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice pic. Is your nick name fluffy?

Dude drop the beer and pick up a bong it will do wonders for your layered hair cut from the 80s.
Old 09-24-2004, 02:19 PM

Well Simon you could impose your will and start professional wrestling internet forum.

That's where I spend most of my time these days (call it sad, but what the hell), I don't yearn to read this board much anymore. It's a shame, because posting in the zoo used to be a hell of a lot of fun.

I still consider a lot of people on this board to be close friends though, they know who they are.
Old 09-24-2004, 02:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Oh I exist, and yet I don't exist.

I gladly accept banning, as long as all of my other personalities (Steven Punk, Terry Funk, Fatbottomed Girls, etc.) are banned along with me. It will be a grand renovayshun to the forum.

P.S. I really don't own a castle - I live in a refrigerator box.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nay! You shall never be me though you may expire to become me.

There is but 1 Punk and that is me. As for your castle....well the crocodiles swimming in my mote are worth more that that Winnabaygo you live in.

Move along now.
Old 09-24-2004, 02:34 PM

I'm not trying to speak for Oski, but I agree with him in the sense that the goofiness that exists here is far less present in other forums. I find the information on this forum to be extremely valuable; in fact I would never have started playing internet poker if it wasn't for the "zoo". But this forum does have a lot of O/T and so-called "junk" on it, and I agree with Oski that having that stuff accumulate here might keep the other forums "cleaner".