Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2005, 10:16 AM

Default TPGK Gets C/R\'d on Turn. Call it? Call River UI? (HE 1/2)

Party Holdem 6 handed. SB and UTG are new to the table and Unknown.

Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls, MP calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, MP calls.

Flop: (8.50 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, MP checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, MP calls.

Turn: (6.25 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, MP checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, UTG calls, MP folds, Hero calls.

River: (12.25 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG folds, Hero... (I have $1.75 left for what that's worth. I usually take care not to get short stacked, but I didn't realize it this time.)

Based on my considerable successful experience at .5/1 Full Ring, when Checkraised on the Turn, unless the aggressor is a Donk, Maniac or Moran, one can assume with about 90% certainty that Top Pair is behind. From my limited experience at 1/2 6max however, I have found this is not true nearly as often - there is a lot more bluff and semi-bluff raising.

In this example, where the SB and UTG are new to the table and Unknown, the odds to call SB's Turn checkraise seem pretty attractive at 10:1...

a. as long as he hasn't made Aces over in which case I'd be drawing to only two Queen outs.

b. he didn't make a lower set in which case I'd have only two Ace outs or the unlikely Runner-Runner Queens (what are the odds for that?). There is a lot of calling at 1/2 SH with Pocket Underpairs, and they occassionally make sets.

c. he didn't make a Straight. 96s (or 64s?) could have (correctly?) called a raise from the BB.

Actually, with all those possibilities, 10:1 on the turn doesn't even seem so attractive anymore. What I'm really hoping for by calling is that BB has 85, 87, or 75 and made Two Lower Pair. But the biggest problem seems to be that with all the bluff and semi-bluff raising that goes on in 6max, I might actually still have the best hand and folding would be bad.

This kind of situation comes up a lot.

So,

1. Do you call this Turn CheckRaise, and

2. Do you call BB's River Bet Unimproved?
Old 09-07-2005, 10:36 AM

Default Re: TPGK Gets C/R\'d on Turn. Call it? Call River UI? (HE 1/2)

I think the BB plays worse aces like that sometimes too. Big pot, I like call/call.
Old 09-07-2005, 10:45 PM

Call. Lots of strange plays at this level. 13:1 is a pretty good price too.

There's also lots of weaker aces he could be holding.
Old 09-07-2005, 10:59 PM

Easy calldown.
Old 09-07-2005, 11:22 PM

I've seen enough people do this with worse Aces, some kind of draw, 2 big cards (like QJ), or some pocket pair enough times to call this down unless I have a specific read that dictates otherwise.
Old 09-07-2005, 11:56 PM

Is anyone else going to 3 bet the turn here, or am I just a chip spewing maniac?

In this case I especially like the 3 bet because you've got less than 1BB left and you're definately going to call a river bet, might as well get that raise in there on the turn since UTG might call with some kind of gutshot or a flush draw that he would just end up folding on the river if he misses.
Old 09-08-2005, 04:25 AM

OK.
I did call down and BB had A7 and made two pair on this turn. But calling down with Aces seems wise in a big pot.
Thanks for the feedback.