Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2005, 11:00 AM

Default Collusion/Annoying Behavior

Last week, my wife and kids were out of town. So, instead of playing online like I usually do, I made 3 trips over to the Harrahs in Council Bluffs. Over the three days, I played their highest spread limit game, 5/10 and 10/20. The games were mostly made up of 50% regulars who obviously knew each other (And knew me after the second day) and 50% random joe/occasional visitor.

But I saw something that pissed me off. I did not say anything, and was surprised to see no comment by the dealers. But probably atleast 10 times over the 15 hours or so I played, if two regulars got HU on the flop or turn, all the sudden one of them would just flip his cards, the other guy would do the same thing, and they'd have the deal run the cards to see who won. These were hands with multiway pots preflop. Several times one of them held monsters like trips, flushes, etc.

Now, I never felt they were reraising to isolate so they could check it down. If I thought they had done that I would have called the floor in a heartbeat.

Opinions? I just didnt feel comfortable with it.

Nick
Old 08-24-2005, 11:30 AM

Default Re: Collusion/Annoying Behavior

I think the key here is just what you said, you never felt like they were intentionally jacking up the pot on the early streets to check it down. I've seen the same behavior at smaller limit tables and this "friendly" stuff doesn't seem so out of place at a 2/4 table, but at 10/20 I can see it bugging you more. I guess just look at it as an opportunity to see people's cards when you're not in the hand.

Swede
Old 08-24-2005, 12:11 PM

I see this at rooms where many of the people play together regularly. It's almost like a courtesy rather than betting against each other, and it only happens when they get heads-up. I agree that they're not trying to jack it up, in fact they'd probably rather not get heads-up with each other because then they're bound to check it down to each other.

I wouldn't let it bother you, though if you play there too much you might feel obligated to do the same if you get to know them- it's kind of the same as not check-raising against people you play with all the time -
Old 08-24-2005, 01:02 PM

I played in the 10/20 there about a month ago, and didn't see that happen, but I have no doubt it could. Most of the players there seemed to know each other. If they aren't driving people out so they can check it down, I wouldn't complain.

The reason I would let it slide is because they are showing they are very bad poker players who will often play very passively. You can use this to your advantage since a passive table is better than an aggressive one. No reason to increase the aggression level unnecessarily or obviously.

Regards,

T
Old 08-24-2005, 01:35 PM

Why do these people even play poker? Why don't they both sit at home with eachother and draw pictures of flops they'd like to see and then jerk eachother off.
Old 08-24-2005, 02:12 PM

I see this all the time. I don't think it's a problem as long as you don't get forced into that situation.
Old 08-24-2005, 02:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why do these people even play poker? Why don't they both sit at home with eachother and draw pictures of flops they'd like to see and then jerk eachother off.

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen.
Old 08-24-2005, 02:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Several times one of them held monsters like trips,

[/ QUOTE ]

Trips is a monster? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-24-2005, 03:46 PM

whats with all the kitties dressed up in stupid costums
Old 08-24-2005, 04:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
whats with all the kitties dressed up in stupid costums

[/ QUOTE ]

Be careful. Questions like this really piss off Limecat.

Swede