Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2005, 11:21 PM

Default Re: Two Bellagio 30-60 misplayed turns

Hand 1.

I stand with Clark here and I'd go for a check-raise on the turn. The big question then becomes whether or not to be the river which is where I find it difficult, but going with the flow of how I choose to play this hand I would bet river no matter what card fell. On the turn someone is very likely to bet this hand here with perhaps any pair, there is good fold and draw equity to make this move and chase weaker draws.

Hand 2.

It's a 3-bet or fold situation here for me. Assuming I don't know the players and assuming I think you like keeping that tricky but very good image you have, I would 3-bet.

Lawrence
Old 05-31-2005, 02:58 PM

Default Re: Results etc.

Hand 1

I went for the checkraise. Button did bet and I did raise. Others folded. Button then 3 bet. I went into the tank (i.e. did he flop a set of 4's?) but called. River was a blank and we both checked and MHIG. Presumably, he had a flush draw in hearts. It was probably Ace high as I am sure he would have bluffed with less than Ace high. FWIW, I think he played the turn expertly but he seriously blew it on the river. After I raked in the pot, he said "I knew that you had that but I also knew that you would call the river if I bet". While I would probably have called in that spot, there may well be times when I would have folded AK to a river bet.

I think the better play for me on the turn would have been to bet out. It would be a bit of a donk bet particularly in the button's eyes but it turned out that my checkraise was also seen as a donk checkraise by the button. In any event, betting out has its ads:

1. Button might just take the free card if he was on a flush draw.

2. One of the guys in between might have a 7 and I find out sooner and more economically by betting out.

3. One of the key advantages of checkraising the button is to get the limpers to fold a medium pocket pair or a hand that has 6 outs to my AK. But if I just bet out, they may fold anyway as they have to "worry" about my bet and more importantly, the button behind them. I just don't see the two guys in the middle calling (or raising) my bet with a small pocket or Ax or whatver it is they called the flop with.

Checkraising the button would appear to have more merit where the turn card is one that doesn't pair the board.

Hand 2

To recap: I was checkraised by the sb on a 2c4d7hTh board. I had AT and 3 bet. MP called 2 bets cold and then sb 4 bet. I folded. On the river, sb bet and the other guy didn't call so I don't know what sb had but a flopped set is obviously the most likely suspect.

Again, I think I erred here. In my albeit limited Bellagio experience, semibluff turn checkraises are rare (even in 30-60). You see them a lot more frequently online. On this board, his checkraise is way more likely to be a set than a flush draw or a hand like JT. I also doubt that it could be two small pairs given that he called my preflop raise and didn't raise the flop. This is a spot where I should just fold to his turn checkraise even though it seems weak to do so with TPTK . If the turn was an Ace and the hand played out the same way, I would call or 3 bet as he could very well be checkraising with a worse ace - here, it's extremely unlikely that he is checkraising with a worse ten.
Old 05-31-2005, 03:57 PM

"After I raked in the pot, he said 'I knew that you had that but I also knew that you would call the river if I bet.'"

So what, then, was the purpose of his turn 3-bet? Either he's got to follow it up with a river bet or not 3-bet turn turn, no? Best he could have was A-J and since you raised the field pre-flop, you're more likely to have A-K than A-T or less.
Old 05-31-2005, 07:08 PM

I suppose he meant that he knew what I had *after* I called the 3 bet. But who knows.....your point is a good one....I agree with you that he should have followed it up with a river bet.
Old 05-31-2005, 07:10 PM

I don't really like the idea to 3 bet the flop. Sounds to me like that qualifies for an overplayed AK but I could be persuaded that I am wrong.
Old 05-31-2005, 07:24 PM

I agree, I wouldn't 3-bet the flop and I was hoping for some follow up discussion about that.