Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2004, 10:03 AM

Default 88 in MP2

Was the flop raise the correct play? Raise the turn?

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (8 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, MP1 folds, Hero calls, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, <font color="CC3333">BB raises</font>, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: (6.25 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG+1 folds, Hero calls.

River: (8.25 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 10.25 BB
Old 08-19-2004, 12:36 PM

Default Re: 88 in MP2

hi

Im assuming the table is reasonably tight, this particular hand was 3way for a single bet. thus, I would raise with 88 in mp or not play it at all (unlikely to get multiway action, so should be played for pair value). it's a good hand to steal blinds and play aggro. moreover, you would get more info on the others depending on their reactions to your raise preflop and post. Since you called, and BB raised to a EP limper (implying strength, perhaps large pair/large overcards), the raise on the flop was correct to put him on cards. Let's look at what he could have (assuming he is reasonably tight). He could have raised with AK, KQs, AA, KK, QQ, JJ, TT?/99?, AQ. For turn, if he is capable of semi-bluffing without a pair, then a raise would be correct but I wouldn't call because of the danger of large pairs. I'm inclined to think he would threebet with over pairs like QQ JJ in fear of overcards. But if this player is known to be tight I wouldn't be surprised if he turned over KK or AA. If he held a ten set, and he put u on med. pair, he would just as he did. He could also have semibluffed on the flop w/ KQs and have overcards + 3flush. once the turn came and possibly gave him 4flush and 4 str8, a bet here from him makes sense as well. This is a raise / fold situation depending on how likely he is to be semibluffing w/o a pair (on a draw). If you raise, have the intention to check on river. If he reraises on turn or bets on the river, IMO you are very likely beat.

Best
Old 08-19-2004, 12:47 PM

I like the flop raise the but the turn bet sets off the alarms. He could be semi-bluffing AK to KQ or 2 spades, but most likely you are against AJ or possibly even JT here.

I personally think you can fold this, but if you're going to play it, raise the turn and fold to a 3-bet. If he calls and checks the river, take the free showdown.
Old 08-19-2004, 01:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like the flop raise the but the turn bet sets off the alarms. He could be semi-bluffing AK to KQ or 2 spades, but most likely you are against AJ or possibly even JT here.

I personally think you can fold this, but if you're going to play it, raise the turn and fold to a 3-bet. If he calls and checks the river, take the free showdown.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was toying with raising the turn and then folding to a 3-bet, but just decided to call down since it cost me the same amount. Not sure if this was the right thought or not.