Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2005, 05:04 PM

Default Re: What\'s your move here and why?

In most cases though, he's going to lay it down, there
are plenty of 'what if' situations, but a raise probably works most of the time.
Old 12-14-2005, 05:07 PM

I understand, but I still don't agree with your flop raise.

This stinks of 'I dont have a king, do you?'

Raising on the turn, is much more powerful, as this is when you would realistically raise if you 'did' have the king, thus providing more meat to your bluff.

I agree, you could donate more chips here, but this is a risk I prefer taking.
Old 12-14-2005, 05:13 PM

I'm generally not putting him on a K, but i'd rather not give a free card, which is the main reason for the flop raise.. plus if he does have a mid pair that he won't let go of, build the pot right now, why keep it small when you know you're most likely way ahead? If I know my opponent will commit more chips to an inferior hand, I'm going to bet aggressively on every street.. if he won't, I'm still happy with winning the pot.
Old 12-14-2005, 05:17 PM

ima go against the grain here and say call. This bet is usually a weak hand such as AJ or 77 with 2-3 outs against you, so im not overly worried about giving a free card. I really want to keep this pot small here on the flop, I have position for the rest of the hand and can extract a lot of value out of mid pairs and big aces if played properly. Things change when I play a good aggressive player I know is capable of firing 3 bets here without a king or better, but I doubt the villian here is capable of that.
Old 12-14-2005, 05:24 PM

In this hand you are either way ahead (prob) or way behind. Call down to the river. I could see an argument for either a flop or turn raise, but i dont think it maximizes value.
Hands you are ahead of JJ-55, AQ-AT.
Hands you are behind AK, KQ, (KJ-KT??)
Raising gets called by how many hands that are behind. 2 or 3, if any. Its gets called by prob. all if you are behind. If raise, do it on the turn. It is stronger and you have given a chance to get more money in against hands that may think they are ahead.
Old 12-14-2005, 05:26 PM

Couldn't just calling kill your action though? Villain would be worried of a K at this point if you just call, but a raise is more of an indication that his hand might still be good, making him commit more money on later streets. It's kind of backwards thinking, but on paired boards I think people calling your bets is more scarier than people raising you on the flop.
Old 12-14-2005, 05:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Couldn't just calling kill your action though? Villain would be worried of a K at this point if you just call, but a raise is more of an indication that his hand might still be good, making him commit more money on later streets. It's kind of backwards thinking, but on paired boards I think people calling your bets is more scarier than people raising you on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

No way... people are much more likely to fold if you raise flop cause if you have a king they are going to have to face two bigger bets on the turn and river because the pot will be larger.
Old 12-14-2005, 05:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

----- FLOP ----- [4s Ks Kd]
Acerclubs: bets 90
Registrar: ?

[/ QUOTE ]

IMHO, this is a typical hand where you are way ahead or way behind. He could have the King, but that is a monster and he would have to put you on a big hand to bet that way. You open raised from LP with no one else in the pot. You could have anything from a monster to rags.

The opponent has what?
- a hand that is good enough to call but not reraise
- a hand that is good enough to play out of position
- a hand that is worth playing head-up
- a hand that is worth open betting with a big pair on the flop

Without knowing the player, in my limited experience, this is a common bet with some sort of pair. So what kind of hands could he be holding?

You might well be facing something like 9's, T's or J's.

If so, then you don't want to reraise and push him off the hand. You want him to continue to make bad semi-bluffs or bad calls.

I'm looking at cold-caling the flop here, seeing what the turn brings, and seeing if the opponent is willing to bet out again.
Old 12-14-2005, 05:37 PM

Calling all the way to river is exceptionally weak tight. Horrible, horrible horrible.

Raising gives you info - sometimes you have to pay for the info
Old 12-14-2005, 05:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Calling all the way to river is exceptionally weak tight. Horrible, horrible horrible.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do not think 'weak tight' means what you think it means.

[ QUOTE ]
Raising gives you info - sometimes you have to pay for the info

[/ QUOTE ]

You have all the info you need. The point is to get the other guy's chips, and you don't get them by raising.