Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2005, 09:56 PM

Default Re: Cigars, Politics and Freedom (in that order)

[ QUOTE ]
The Nicaraguan company Padron makes some damn fine cigars that in my mind are just as good, if not better than the Cubans I have smoked.

Cubans are in my opinion overrated, and overpriced, but to each his own.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hiya kipin,

One of the reason for starting this thread was to get some information about what non-Cuban gigar to give another try. Of course, I wanted to have the advice from an expert, or someone at least vey knowledgeable about Cubans.

It seems to me that the view expressed mostly by those that have a difficulty getting Cuban, is akin to the childish reaction, that if you cannot get it, then you may as well say it is bad to justify and uplift the perceived value of what you can get.

As I said in my first post, I don't smoke non-Cubans because my experience with them as been dissapointing each time I tried.

But I am prepare to give it a go, based on some seasoned advice. I do no wish to spoil my daily ritual with something that may not even be second-best.
Old 11-28-2005, 10:12 PM

Try the CAO with cameroon wrappers. My favorite cigar by far.
Old 11-29-2005, 12:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Cubans are in my opinion overrated, and overpriced , but to each his own.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because they are illegal. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

They are not illegal in Europe and they are expensive there. Its a status thing, and people are willing to pay $30 for a cigar because it will make them look cool.
Old 11-29-2005, 12:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The Nicaraguan company Padron makes some damn fine cigars that in my mind are just as good, if not better than the Cubans I have smoked.

Cubans are in my opinion overrated, and overpriced, but to each his own.

[/ QUOTE ]

Should we even bother asking which cubans you smoked?

[/ QUOTE ]

I can see your point, but I don't think I need to divulge that information. I can tell you I have had quite a few top dollar cubans ($25-$40 range) and in my opinion, dollar for dollar they are not worth the effort to try to track them down inside the U.S.

Smoking cigars for me is about personal preference, not about being an elitist who wants to impress everyone around him but doesn't even know how to appreciate the cigar.

Like I said, to each his own.

I personally prefer padrons, but I understand, if someone else doesn't.

[/ QUOTE ]

I def agree, that its preference, not being elitist. But, one, I hate padrons, I had the 1926 anniv, and did not like it one bit (and it was not cheap), 2- I really dislike some cubans, it just happens that my favorite is a cuban (2004 sublime). To me the Padron's are too strong, and "stingy", where a nice H Upman (domestic) Vintage cameroon is my style. Does Padron make something similar to the Upman that I could try?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have never had the 1926 because I have heard the same thing, which makes it seem not worth the money. I have had quite a few 1967's and I absolutely love that line. I believe the 1926 series use the same filler as the 1967's but they are just aged 2 years longer in the Padron warehouse.

Most of the 1967's I have smoked have been aged in my humidor for at least a year, which will improve just about any cigar.

A good 1967 is one of the creamiest cigars, producing huge amounts of rich, white smoke, which is very satisfying to me. The draw is also very easy.

Anyway about your comment about the 1926's being to stingy, I have definitely noticed this on other Padron cigars when they have not been aged after I purchased them. I bought a box of 6000's a couple months ago and noticed the first few I smoked (didn't let them age) were stingy as hell, almost to the point of being unpleasant. However, now that they have aged for a few months, they are a very good moderate priced cigar.

I kind of think Padron may be rushing cigars out to keep up with the demand. If that is the case the quality will definitely suffer, which is unfortunate.

As for a recommendation, I have never had the Upman you talk about, what are the properties of it? Hard to recommend something when I have not had what you're favorite cigar is. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-29-2005, 12:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
They are not illegal in Europe and they are expensive there. Its a status thing, and people are willing to pay $30 for a cigar because it will make them look cool.

[/ QUOTE ]

What can I say? I guess I wouldn't put this past the europeans. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

As for me, I live a very solitary life (by choice), I enjoy at least one hand made cigar every day after dinner, together with a full bottle of wine. I don't mind paying $50 or even $100 for a bottle of wine, as long as it is good, in the same way that I don't mind paying $30 or $50 for a cigar. They both have similarity of uniqueness, richness and progressing taste variation as they get consumed. I do it purely for the hedonistic view point. The only people that may be impressed are the people collecting my glass refuse every fortnight and that process is automated, so I doubt they will see it.

Enjoy kipin [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] and let me enjoy it too without attributing other reasons for my behaviour. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

OTOH, I know some people of the ilk you are describing. They are a bore, usually have no taste, and whether or not, they consume something good is usually a matter of luck.
Old 11-30-2005, 06:45 AM

OK kipin,

You were talking the talk [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

What would recommend as a non Cuban.

Here are my preferences, as you will notice I have a sweet tooth when it comes to cigars:

light to medium body
sweet

creamy

sweet spice
cinnamon

cacao
vanilla

not salty/ bitter

rich

I'll try your recommendation on my next order.
Old 11-30-2005, 11:23 AM

I apologize for the moderate thread hijack, but I had just happened to be hunting around online for cigars at the same time I spotted this. I'm a new smoker, and was looking for a sort of "variety pack" of quality smokes so that I could get a better idea of what I liked and disliked. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks for your time,

Jesse
Old 11-30-2005, 11:28 AM

Good for you. I bet my cigars are better than Cubans anytime.

(Hint: Mine are filled with pot.)
Old 11-30-2005, 11:28 AM

Jesse Kid,

No problems with hijacking from my view point.

It may be useful to say which country you are from, as accesibilty is different from country to country, specially the USA. No cubans available! [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 11-30-2005, 11:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Good for you. I bet my cigars are better than Cubans anytime.

(Hint: Mine are filled with pot.)

[/ QUOTE ]
]
Hiya vexvelour,

They are not available here easily [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]