Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2005, 01:09 PM

Default middle pair and flush draw

Hi all. I'm a limit player, learning NLHE. So please explain if/where I am wrong, but go easy on me [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Online No-Limit Hold'em, $10 BB (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Button ($1102)
SB ($1404)
BB ($3726.80)
Hero ($1000)
UTG+1 ($3485.25)
MP1 ($1167.25)
MP2 ($1361.45)
MP3 ($995)
CO ($910)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $20</font>, UTG+1 calls $20, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls $20, MP3 calls $20, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB calls $15, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: ($110) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $50</font>, UTG+1 folds, MP2 calls $50, MP3 folds, SB folds.

Turn: ($210) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP2 checks.

River: ($210) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $200</font>, MP2 calls $200.

Final Pot: $610
Old 11-01-2005, 01:18 PM

Default Re: middle pair and flush draw

Weak bet on flop can be picked off as a flush draw by stronger opponents. I like the check on the turn, I like the bet on the river. Also, minraise UTG is typically a AT/KJ/KQ/weak pocket pair type hand. You will find yourself getting reraised with nothing and costing yourself some pots if you do this. If you mix up your play and minraise with AA-QQ/AK here, I think the minraising is more acceptable.
Old 11-01-2005, 01:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, minraise UTG is typically a AT/KJ/KQ/weak pocket pair type hand. You will find yourself getting reraised with nothing and costing yourself some pots if you do this. If you mix up your play and minraise with AA-QQ/AK here, I think the minraising is more acceptable.

[/ QUOTE ]

dude, he already gave his reasoning, hes a limit player
Old 11-01-2005, 01:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Also, minraise UTG is typically a AT/KJ/KQ/weak pocket pair type hand. You will find yourself getting reraised with nothing and costing yourself some pots if you do this. If you mix up your play and minraise with AA-QQ/AK here, I think the minraising is more acceptable.

[/ QUOTE ]

dude, he already gave his reasoning, hes a limit player

[/ QUOTE ]

Just trying to help. I'm sure he doesn't mind me explaining what a minraise typically means. I'm not making fun, just trying to help.
Old 11-01-2005, 01:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Just trying to help. I'm sure he doesn't mind me explaining what a minraise typically means. I'm not making fun, just trying to help.

[/ QUOTE ]

im just messing around

but if you check every other hand hes posted, he mini-raises a lot pre-flop, especially UTG

and theres been already lots of posts on it

so i dont think anything more can really convince him otherwise
Old 11-01-2005, 01:55 PM

Re: miniraising.

Yeah, there has been a lot of discussion on it. One thing can convince me -- results. It will take a long time to get enough data. In the meantime, can y'all look at that as an interesting experiment, and focus on the rest of the hand?

I am particularly interested in the turn. My plan was to call anything but a monstrous overbet.
Old 11-01-2005, 02:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Re: miniraising.

Yeah, there has been a lot of discussion on it. One thing can convince me -- results. It will take a long time to get enough data. In the meantime, can y'all look at that as an interesting experiment, and focus on the rest of the hand?

I am particularly interested in the turn. My plan was to call anything but a monstrous overbet.

[/ QUOTE ]imagine all the beautiful chips youdve won had you opened for 40 pre, and bet pot on the flop in this hand.
Old 11-01-2005, 02:13 PM

Agree 100%. I bet they shimmer.
Old 11-01-2005, 02:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Another alternative could have been check-raising all in. Most will have a very hard time calling this without a big hand.