Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2005, 12:26 PM

Default How should I have played this differently?

Paradise Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP3 calls, CO calls, Button calls, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (6 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB folds, UTG calls.

Turn: (5 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (7 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, UTG calls.

Final Pot: 13 BB
Old 08-30-2005, 12:28 PM

Default Re: How should I have played this differently?

I would fold the flop. Everything else looks ok.
Old 08-30-2005, 12:28 PM

What is your read on your opp?

Assuming unknown, you've gotta bet that turn after the c/r on flop.

After that, call a raise, and then play it the same.
Old 08-30-2005, 12:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think hero gives up too much folding the flop. There are 7SB's in the pot and UTG did not raise preflop, so while he could have a King he could also very likely have an 8 with a lower kicker.

I like the check raise on the flop.
Old 08-30-2005, 12:36 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />

[/ QUOTE ]
This is terrible advice. If you fold this flop you hate money. I'd bet the turn after the flop check/raise, since there are plenty of worse hands to call you, and not too many better ones. You also have plenty of outs even against trips. I really like the bet/3-bet line on the river.
Old 08-30-2005, 12:41 PM

I like the flop c/r.

Definitely lead this turn afterwards. If you weren't already behind, you certainly aren't now.

Since you check-called the turn, it's more difficult to know whether the river 3-bet is okay. I'd 3-bet the river if you led the turn and he didn't raise you then.
Old 08-30-2005, 01:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think hero gives up too much folding the flop. There are 7SB's in the pot and UTG did not raise preflop, so while he could have a King he could also very likely have an 8 with a lower kicker.

[/ QUOTE ]

If opponent is a dope, he could have limped some bad 8 UTG, yes. If I am UTG, I have a small pocket pair a very high percentage of the time, and something like KJs the rest of the time, so hero can indeed be ahead here. I don't think I fold the flop here either.

jvs
Old 08-30-2005, 01:18 PM

Sorry I misread the board. You guys are right. Action looks good on all streets to me.
Old 08-30-2005, 01:23 PM

First of all, reads would be nice.

After everyone folds to UTG's flop bet, I'm not really sure a checkraise is the best play here. I realize the BB is still in there but it's not really a big deal. I would consider calling the flop and betting out on the turn.

Your turn play is inconsistent with your flop checkraise. If you thought you were ahead enough of the time to checkraise the flop then you should bet out again. You're missing value from worse 8's and lower pocket pairs. Also, if UTG happens to be capable of folding TT/99, he won't do it if you check. I'd bet the turn.

River is fine considering the weird way you played it.
Old 08-30-2005, 01:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry I misread the board. You guys are right. Action looks good on all streets to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tehox folding the flop is not terrible if we are behind trip kings we are drawing to a bdfd and running eights and the pot is small. If we are ahead check/raising the flop and checking the turn is terrible because we are giving a free card and can possibly fold a better hand 99 1010 with a turn bet. I don't think a flop fold is awful f and I for sure don't agree with the turn play but the river looks good. The only other thing to consider is where a bet comes from on a scary board like this had the BB or UTG bet I would probably fold if the bet came from a late position player or the last player to act I probably check/raise lead the turn.