Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2005, 03:41 AM

Default Re: Look Mom/Dad I won 12K

Yea, I would have told my parents to f- off definitely. My Dad happens to play poker though, so it was never really a problem for me. I just had to say "Don't worry mom" all the time.

A $12K win is great, like other people have said... if he considers it gambling and likens it to you winning the lottery- perhaps he's right. You should repeat the success to prove it wasn't luck. With that said, good luck.
Old 08-07-2005, 03:48 AM

Your dad sounds like a close minded, know it all jerk...but it seems that you need his approval. Theres the nub of it.

Bingo
Old 08-07-2005, 03:51 AM

Let it be a hobby. Your parents don't know more than you do about playing poker, don't let them fool you into thinking otherwise. Otherwise, don't bring it up. No reason for them to know about the newest hobby you've been playing, unless you're going to get yourself in real trouble, and 2+2ers know what variance is.

No reason for you to need their approval about the latest girl you've been going out with, and this is just another hobby.
Old 08-07-2005, 09:37 AM

Get used to people thinking you're a degenerate because you play poker. Your parents won't be the last. What your expereicing goes with the turf. It took my mom three years before she began to respect what I do, but she finally turned around. I guess in the end, its hard for people to argue with long term success.

Don't expect your dad to accept poker until you've shown some long term success. If it comes up in conversation again just tell him that you don't see any point in arguing about it anymore. You intend to prove your position not with words but by succeeding over the long term. That is after all the only real way you can prove your position.

Stu
Old 08-07-2005, 09:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
No reason for you to need their approval about the latest girl you've been going out with, and this is just another hobby.

[/ QUOTE ]

If only I could find a girlfriend who'd also give me $12k...
Old 08-07-2005, 10:52 AM

One thing that might change this, is being up front with your folks about playing from the start. My folks had some of the same concerns initially, but I explained to them how it works, and the long term results told them I had a clue. When I finaly made a big score, they were able to understand it a little more, and were generaly happy.

The more you treat poker like it's something bad, and hide it from people, the more they'll see it the same way.
Old 08-07-2005, 11:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Until she becomes a long term winner, then I'm sure they'll want to hear about it.

PS I never tell anyone (specifically non-serious players and non-players) about the $-value of my wins. My goal is to single-handedly remove the association of winning money with playing solid poker.
Old 08-07-2005, 02:36 PM

I'm glad I don't have to worry about this since my Dad is the one who taught me how to play. But my dad told me once that he told his father he was going to Vegas to play poker and was told by my Grandfather "Why are you gonna play that? It's all luck, you can't win"

My Dad replies "Dad, I've probably made $50,000 in my lifetime playing poker" (he's not a professional, but he keeps records)

My Grandfather replies "Well, that's just luck, you've just been lucky."
Old 08-07-2005, 02:54 PM

Default Are you giving away IT skills?

I get the impression that you are doing IT work for family and friends for free. I used to have that problem until I printed business cards. When friends and relatives called for IT help, I told them I was now in business and charging $100/hr but would be willing to give them a discount at $50/hr.

Most of the requests for help stopped and that was OK since that was my main goal. But some of them called and were happy to pay my fee. My brother-in-law paid me more than I charged him because he was so grateful for the help. Some even refered me to others and before I knew it, I really was in business as an IT tech.
Old 08-07-2005, 03:26 PM

My parents disliked poker until my recent 25k run. Now they are cool with it.

The fact that I was good at many things before it, like chess, helped. When I explained to them that it was like chess or computer strategy games they understood a bit. I've always been very good at math and they think that relates to poker.

The fact that it is on TV has helped alot. They can see these other successful pros so they know it is a game of skill with a luck component.

Thier opinion of your poker playing will probably relate directly to your grades/career success. If you do bad in one of those they will blame poker.

P.S. Try getting him the Theory of Poker. I'm pretty sure that explain the whole concept of +EV and how poker is a beatable game.