Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded

Old 06-16-2005, 05:26 PM

Default AQs vs a Wild raiser / maniac

This guy is a maniac preflop raiser. He did 4 bet a few turn ago with KQ off UTG. He has been showing a lot of strength with K or Q high etc. He is 38/17/3

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, MP calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG caps</font>, MP calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (13.40 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, MP calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG 3-bets</font>, MP calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, UTG calls, MP calls.

Turn: (12.70 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, MP folds, Hero ???
Old 06-16-2005, 05:34 PM

Default Re: AQs vs a Wild raiser / maniac

seems to me, your read on the UTG player is critcal. If he's fairly solid I'm out - otherwise check call down
Old 06-16-2005, 05:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This guy is a maniac preflop raiser. He did 4 bet a few turn ago with KQ off UTG. He has been showing a lot of strength with K or Q high etc. He is 38/17/3

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, MP calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG caps</font>, MP calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (13.40 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, MP calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG 3-bets</font>, MP calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, UTG calls, MP calls.

Turn: (12.70 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, MP folds, Hero ???

[/ QUOTE ]

Were you raising the turn to try to induce a 3bet and fold MP? After a line like that, I would just look him up. Call the turn and river. Since he's probably 3-betting the turn with a lot of hands you beat, you can't raise-fold, and I think when you do get three-bet, you're going to be in trouble more often than not.

I think now that you've gotten it heads up, the best play is just calling down.

Here's a hand of mine that I misplayed in the same fashion. This was against a guy who would go buck wild on the later streets, trying to outplay his opponents. I tried raising the turn for a free showdown with what I thought was probably the best hand. I realized later that the best play was probably to call him down, and raise if I paired up.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (5 handed) pokerhand.org hand converter

Preflop: Hero is MP with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: (5 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls.

Turn: (3.50 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, SB calls.

River: (11.50 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 13.50 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero has Qh Ah (one pair, twos).
SB has 8d Ad (one pair, twos).
Outcome: Hero wins 13.50 BB. </font>
Old 06-16-2005, 06:01 PM

I call down after his flop 3-bet. You're probably good here but I want to get to showdown.
Old 06-16-2005, 06:08 PM

By capping the flop I'm showing real strength, wouldn't it help to have MP fold on the turn ? If I call the flop 3 bet MP might call down to the river thinking I won't raise behind if he calls ? By 4 betting the flop MP can'T stay with a marginal holding since it will cost him a lot to see the showdown ? Anyway If MP had called I'm not sure I would have stayed on the turn...
Old 06-16-2005, 09:00 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

unbridled aggression is NOT the key to winning shorthanded. actually, the opposite is true
Old 06-16-2005, 09:04 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

[ QUOTE ]
By capping the flop I'm showing real strength, wouldn't it help to have MP fold on the turn ? If I call the flop 3 bet MP might call down to the river thinking I won't raise behind if he calls ? By 4 betting the flop MP can'T stay with a marginal holding since it will cost him a lot to see the showdown ? Anyway If MP had called I'm not sure I would have stayed on the turn...

[/ QUOTE ]

again, the opposite is true. capping the flop is generally going to attach MP to the pot, not make him fold. and capping the flop and folding the turn for one bet to this guy would be retarded. why are you capping if you're going to fold? why are you folding if you just capped?
Old 06-16-2005, 09:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Topic: AQs vs a Wild raiser / maniac

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

On another note, I don't know why you're capping here, even though he is a LAG. You're not folding him, and you don't really have a strong hand.
Old 06-16-2005, 09:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you don't really have a strong hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

AQ against a light raiser is gold.
Old 06-16-2005, 09:55 PM

yeah I think I overplayed it. Thanks for the feedbacks. I should just have called him down instead of doing a raising war with him [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] And sorry for the mistake it was AQo :/