Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2005, 09:30 AM

Default bad 3/6 players and $20 SNGs

My regular game is Party 3/6. For kicks the last few months I have been playing the occassional $20+2 NL SNG. Every once in a while someone at my SNG table will have notes I've taken on them at 3/6, and almost inevitably they are among the worst players -- typically LP-Ps with 68% VP$P or something like that.

Naturally, I've come to wonder why. Are $20 SNGs where bad limit players go to die? What's going on? Does a decent 3/6 player who wants to mix it up with SNGs typically play much higher buy-in games?

Just curious what others think...
Old 02-02-2005, 09:57 AM

Default Re: bad 3/6 players and $20 SNGs

I regularly play 3/6; I do well.
I semi-regularly play $20+2 SNGs; I suck consistently lately.

I'm not a LP-P and my VP$IP is not 68%, but I suck nonetheless at SNGs. Can't understand why.
Old 02-02-2005, 10:57 AM

Fish seem to wander all over the place, while at the lower limits the skilled players are very often one trick ponies.

I rarely, if ever, see any of my regular TAG opponents from 3/6 LHE at the NLHE, NLHE SnG, Omaha/8, Omaha/8 PL or Stud/8 tables. But some of my fav fishes migrate all over the place.

Unfortunately many of my fishes seem to migrate wildly up and down limits as well. Even though they most often play 3/6 they can be found at the 15/30 tables (day after payday?) as well as the 0.5/1 tables (day before payday?).
Old 02-02-2005, 11:12 AM

I have the exact same problem.

I tried tracking fish for awhile but I got frustrated because I would always find 2-8 of them online but they would be scattered all over creation. A couple at SNG's, a couple playing MTT's, one at level lower I'm playing at and another 2 at level higher than I'm at, etc. I just got fed up with it and I no longer use my buddy list.

It is shocking how many times you see a complete donator (I was using >70% Vp$ip as my filter) at a 5/10 table two days after you discovered him on a 1/2 table. Not really I guess, this type of behavior is very typical of hard core gamblers.