Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2005, 03:22 PM

Default Re: Party Poker\'s Long Term Health

Yes I do.

I was having an excellent email discussion with the inventor of the pet rock and the hula-hoop about how the increasing population would almost guarantee them an ever expanding market to sell their "hot" new products to but both of them stopped emailing me back. I'm not sure what happened to them but I did here a rumor that the pet rock guy was really into making his own beer and the inventor of the hula-hoop got caught up in the Amway craze.
Old 02-01-2005, 03:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]

It simply amazes me that someone doesn't realize this has about a 95%+ chance of just being another fad.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where did you get this number?

Oh, wait -
I know...
You just pulled it out of your ass.

By the way, your post is completely wrong, and shows you don't understand why poker has been around since before you were born.

Why people think that online poker will somehow change that, I have no idea. Your point about people losing doesn't add up either, and it shows you don't really understand why fish play.

But don't let me stop you.
Go ahead and think the sky is falling.
Old 02-01-2005, 03:45 PM

Why not look at the wider picture? Do you really think On-line poker is going to only be available on a Laptop or Desktop PC?

We haven't even got to Poker on your mobile phone yet (bored commuters on the journey home anyone?) or how about Poker through your Tv via Cable? What about Poker through a console ala Xbox or perhaps PSP! Whilst we're at it let's ignore North America and Parts of Europe, what about other parts of the world this hasn't reached? As if the Chinese aren't known for liking a good gamble [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Maybe just maybe the US will reach Saturation in 5 years but the rest of the world will still be catching up!
Old 02-01-2005, 04:28 PM

Look, I don't think the sky is falling. I'm not trying to say that tomorrow you will wake up and "poof" Poker will be gone.

What I am saying is that I believe in five years the numbers we see playing poker now will be greatly reduced. That is all plain and simple.

And yes if it makes you feel superior by stating the obvious I did completely pull that number out of the air and it is simply just an opinion and a guess that I can back up with no fact whatsoever. It is only based on experience.

You mentioned most or everything I said was wrong but I missed your facts or links to back up your opinion. Or were you just being like me? Oh, I hope not, you wouldn't be like me...especially as much as you look down on me.

Also, you might find a very interesting article located right here on these forums. I don't want to mis-summarize it but it talks about how the publishers of 2+2 feel there is good chance that the "book-boom" is fading or will shortly. I'm willing to bet they don't have any hard evidence or facts but are just forming this opinion based on their current knowlege and past experiences. Wether or not this trend that they predict can be tied to the "numbers" of people playing online poker...I'll let you draw that conclusion. I happen to believe they will coincide. You may feel otherwise.
Old 02-01-2005, 04:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]

You mentioned most or everything I said was wrong but I missed your facts or links to back up your opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really?

That weird, because most of the facts I would mention have already been pointed out by others in this thread and elsewhere.

I'm just not one to repeat other people.
But it's not like I said some BS like, "I'm 87% sure that poker is not a fad."

What experiences are you referring to?
Meh.. it doesn't matter.

Also, my opinions are backed up with the history of poker and gambling. I think that's enough of a reference.
Old 02-01-2005, 04:52 PM

I'm only 24.

-Michael
Old 02-01-2005, 11:13 PM

This thread has been very entertaining and informative to read. Here is the bottom line: poker is definately a popular fad right now. Does that mean online poker won't be here in 5 years? No. Will there still be fish to take money from? Yes, of course. This next 6 months will be the easiest competition we face, no doubt. I predict in a couple years that the online sites will have similiar players as the Cryptologic sites do. Those games are beatable, but not to the point as the Party games are. Will you still be able to win money online 5 years from now? Of course, but you will have to settle for 1BB/100 rather than the 3.5BB/100 you are accustomed to. The pool of fish won't dry up completely, but it will be much shallower, no doubt...