Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2005, 06:06 AM

Default 15/30 B&M Game... Is this an automatic cap?

Sitting in my typical game, which right now is even better then normal... lots of limping and coldcalling. If you make any hands you make a mint... on to the hand in question.

I am MP1: 2 players limp and I raise with A-Kd... player immediately behind me goes to cold call in a feable attempt to spike a set. However, while he is in the middle of his conversation he doesn't notice that he has an extra green chip in there and puts out $40. The 40 is significant b/c that is enough to indicate a raise.

Knowing full well that he had no intention of raising I say to the dealer that the player has raised. He promptly says that it was an accident and he had no intention of raising. The dealer agrees with me and asserts that unfortunately it is a raise.

The blinds call and the limpers call... and it is back to me for one more bet...

Two questions:
1. Knowing full well that the player trailing me had no intention of raising, but b/c he was not paying attention put too much out... should I "angle shoot" here to get it declared a raise?
(My intial thought was that if I could get it deemed a 3-bet maybe we would lose some players and I could have a better chance of winning the pot)

2. When the action returns to me... is this an automatic cap or should you call... knowing full well you are going to have to hit your hand to win?

I will share results later!
Old 08-19-2005, 06:12 AM

Default Re: 15/30 B&M Game... Is this an automatic cap?

[ QUOTE ]
Two questions:
1. Knowing full well that the player trailing me had no intention of raising, but b/c he was not paying attention put too much out... should I "angle shoot" here to get it declared a raise?

[/ QUOTE ]
no, that is not very cool at all. are you are a 62 year old, breakeven nit by any chance?

[ QUOTE ]
2. When the action returns to me... is this an automatic cap or should you call... knowing full well you are going to have to hit your hand to win?

I will share results later!

[/ QUOTE ]cap without a thought.
Old 08-19-2005, 09:57 AM

I think angle shooting like this is a bad idea. You are in a good game and everyone seems ok with losing money to you, why be a jerk? I doubt your cold-calling friend will be particularly eager to play at your table again.
Old 08-19-2005, 10:11 AM

You should not angle shoot. I think it is appropriate to simply ask the player if he intended to raise. If he says no, but the dealer makes him raise anyway, then good for you. But I'm of the mind that a poker game should be kept friendly, especially if you're one of the better players at the game.

If you are looking for ways to squeeze out a few more bucks, go review TOP and SSHE on pot equity. Given that the pot is now 6-way and you hold AKs, you absolutely must cap for value here.
Old 08-19-2005, 11:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The fact that you have to hit your hand to win doesn't mean you don't have value in raising. It's a similar situation to raising a flushdraw in a big multiway pot. AKs will flop TPTK a 3rd of the time, and overcards with a backdoor flush draw a good portion of the remaining times. You're going to get good flops more than 1/3 of the time with 5 opponents in the hand, with no indication that any of them have AA or KK. It's an easy cap.
Old 08-19-2005, 11:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You're going to get good flops more than 1/3 of the time with 5 opponents in the hand, with no indication that any of them have AA or KK. It's an easy cap.

[/ QUOTE ]

And on another note, yeah, why not be cool at the table? Sheesh.

JimmyV
Old 08-19-2005, 01:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am MP1: 2 players limp and I raise with A-Kd... player immediately behind me goes to cold call in a feable attempt to spike a set.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's nothing feeble about limping in with 77-99 here. He may even be correct to limp with worse pocket pairs.
Old 08-19-2005, 04:33 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I am MP1: 2 players limp and I raise with A-Kd... player immediately behind me goes to cold call in a feable attempt to spike a set.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's nothing feeble about limping in with 77-99 here. He may even be correct to limp with worse pocket pairs.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's not limping in, he's coldcalling.

b
Old 08-19-2005, 04:35 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless the guy is a jerk, it's a shortsighted, dick move to pull.

b
Old 08-19-2005, 05:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He's not limping in, he's coldcalling.

b

[/ QUOTE ]

But still ok at a loose table with 3 already in, no?