Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2005, 01:22 PM

Default Re: tennis proposition bet against a tennis pro

dont even think about it, he will smoke you bad.
Old 09-08-2005, 01:25 PM

I was a reasonably well sectionally ranked player in high school, and if you give me a month to brush up on my game, I would take this bet with those terms against you.

There are a few million tennis players out there, and your friend was likely once one of the best 100 or so of them. He's a great player. If you've played with him before, he's probably given you no inclination whatsoever of how good he really is.
Old 09-08-2005, 01:25 PM

I think the discussion should be what sports you actually have a slim chance as a complete noob against the best-of-the-best in the world.

Chess, golf, tennis, hockey, basketball, ping pong - you have NO CHANCE. It's not 1A, B, C, etc...you have absolutely zero chance against a moderate pro, let alone the best in the biz.

Baseball you could get lucky and get a hit. Boxing you could land a lucky punch. And those are still like 0.00000001%. I'm drawing a blank after that.

What else do you even have a shot (however slim) against a pro?
Old 09-08-2005, 01:26 PM

bowling.
Old 09-08-2005, 01:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the discussion should be what sports you actually have a slim chance as a complete noob against the best-of-the-best in the world.

Chess, golf, tennis, hockey, basketball, ping pong - you have NO CHANCE. It's not 1A, B, C, etc...you have absolutely zero chance against a moderate pro, let alone the best in the biz.

Baseball you could get lucky and get a hit. Boxing you could land a lucky punch. And those are still like 0.00000001%. I'm drawing a blank after that.

What else do you even have a shot (however slim) against a pro?

[/ QUOTE ]

9 ball, 1 game, sink the 9 on the break;
Old 09-08-2005, 01:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

there is zero chance a complete noob has the strength or know-how to land a knockout punch wearing 14oz gloves against a pro.

likewise getting lucky with a baseball. if you manage to make contact, you still aren't getting anywhere. do you have any idea how fast 95 MPH fastball is? it will rip the bat right out of your hand if you are a noob. you really have no chance here either.
Old 09-08-2005, 01:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]

9 ball, 1 game, sink the 9 on the break;

[/ QUOTE ]

totally possible
Old 09-08-2005, 01:34 PM

The question isn't what sport does the good amateur not have a chance in it is what sport does he have a chance in. The answer by the way is none.

I think because of TV and the internet we have all gotten too close and familiar to pros. These guys are genetic freaks.
Old 09-08-2005, 01:36 PM

I think you're seriously under-representing your skill if you think you even have a chance.

My tennis instructor throughout high school was a certified teaching pro, good as [censored], and probably would not make it past the first round of any major tournament.

He'd spank the crap out of me with any handicap, even at my peak. and I played more than "on and off."

Playing a real match when something is on the line is a LOT different from screwing around and hitting some balls. I could hit winners on him all day when we're warming up, but that doesn't mean crap.

If you aren't good enough to be a scholarship athlete with a starting spot on the tennis team at a big NCAA school, I wouldn't even consider this bet. If you are, then my friend you held out on us in your OP.
Old 09-08-2005, 01:38 PM

ping pong I think would be worse. Any competent player should crush anybody that's never played. A competent professional would be ridiculous.