Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Knives
Barry Greenstein 39 60.00%
Frodo 26 40.00%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-18-2005, 07:44 PM

Default Football overtime

NFL overtime: Starts just like a new game with a cointoss and ends with the first score. (In regular season games, if the overtime period goes the full 15 minutes without anyone scoring, the game ends in a tie.)

College Overtime: each team gets on position from their opponent's 25 yard line. Team with the higher score wins. If there is still a tie, do it again.

NFL Eurpoe / Arena League: Starts like a new game, but doesn't become sudden death untill both teams have had the ball at least once.

XFL: One team (determined by the choice of the team that won the scramble to start the game) gets four plays to score starting from its opponents 20 yard line (field goals are not allowed untill the fourth play). The other team then gets as many plays to score as the first team took. If both teams score the same number of points, they do it again.

jstnrgrs' idea: One team (detrmined by a coin toss) gets the ball on its own 5 yard line. The game then proceeds as normal (4 downs to get ten yards, punt on 4th down, etc.) and is sudden death.
Old 09-18-2005, 07:47 PM

Default Re: Football overtime

I think the NFL's current system is poor. What % of OT's does the team that won the toss win? I imagine it's high. I think first to 6 points would be better.
Old 09-18-2005, 07:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the NFL's current system is poor. What % of OT's does the team that won the toss win?

[/ QUOTE ]

Historically (the history of the OT system) it's a shade over 50%. In recent history (last 6 years or so IIRC) it's a shade over 60%.
Old 09-18-2005, 07:50 PM

I like your idea a lot. But, instead of the 5, make it the 10 yard-line. That should be good.
Old 09-18-2005, 07:51 PM

I'm so glad you posted this. I almost did after yesterday's ND/MSU game. A shame such a great game had to end in such a phony fashion. The college OT is the worst imo.
Old 09-18-2005, 07:51 PM

I think that the college system is worse than the NFL system. It reminds me of deciding soccer games with penalty kicks.

First to six wouldn't be bad because at least field position would still be a factor, and field postion is really what football is all about.
Old 09-18-2005, 07:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm so glad you posted this. I almost did after yesterday's ND/MSU game. A shame such a great game had to end in such a phony fashion. The college OT is the worst imo.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, and I think is is also dumb that in college football, the ammount of thime that the clock runs between plays is dependant on how quickly the officials spot the ball. I wish MSU had bee forced to play 4th down form their own half yard line (at the end of regulation).
Old 09-18-2005, 09:49 PM

As far as your idea is concerned, why the 5-yard line? IMO, this wouldn't be any better than the current system. Most likely it would be a disavantage to the team that "won" the coin toss. Football is such a field position game -- starting so close to their own goal line would hamstring an offense to the point where they'd be wasting a series just getting into position to punt. The team receiving the punt would most likely wind up with ridiculous field position at that point, needing only a field goal to win.
Old 09-18-2005, 10:01 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

I like how college does it. Except I kinda wish they started on the 30 or 35 instead of the 25.

Sudden death overtimes blows.

Does anyone else get over-distracted by Clarky's avatar?

b
Old 09-18-2005, 10:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like how college does it. Except I kinda wish they started on the 30 or 35 instead of the 25.

Sudden death overtimes blows.

Does anyone else get over-distracted by Clarky's avatar?

b

[/ QUOTE ]

I do.