Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2005, 09:13 AM

Default 2/4 short -- 99 vs a LAG

I'm tilting my way through a too long session, starting to wonder if I'm mentally challenged or just don't like money, swinging between overplaying and underplaying, blah blah blah. Let's just call it Friday.

Villain is a lagtastic 45/21/2.4 over quite a few orbits. He just reloaded an orbit or so ago after losing 25 BB in relatively few hands. Most of my attention is focused on my other table where I'm playing 2-3 handed so I don't have a great read on him. I'm inclined to think that his 3-betting standards are a little more reasonable in general than his raising standards -- he raises a lot but I haven't been 3-bet by him enough to take notice. Pretty much every pot has been multiway, so I have no idea how he reacts to an apparent blind steal.

He seems aggressive-very aggressive post flop with what he considers decent hands (most pairs and draws), but isn't maniacal. He also knows how to fold (~35% wtsd).

Tilty loser is *gasp* winning here at the moment. I'm up 15-20 BB and playing unterribly.

PokerStars 2/4 Hold'em (6 handed) converter

Preflop: tilty loser is CO with 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">tilty loser raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, tilty loser calls.

I tend to reflexively call 3-bets too often. Probably should have capped here. I'm ashamed to say that a night of too many terrible flops probably had something to do with it.

Flop: (6.50 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">tilty loser raises</font>, BB calls.

Turn: (5.25 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">tilty loser bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, tilty loser ???

These sorts of situations came up a lot tonight (last night?) and I don't think I did a good job with them. What's our line vs a loose/aggressive player who's representing a big hand?
Old 10-22-2005, 09:31 AM

Default Re: 2/4 short -- 99 vs a LAG

the dreaded CR on the turn. There is nothing you can do. Just say well played and pay him two more BB.
Old 10-22-2005, 09:36 AM

I'm calling the turn check/raise and re evaluate on the river. I think this is a semi bluff check/raise often enough to at least see the last card.
Old 10-22-2005, 04:48 PM

This feels an awful lot like a hand. He most likely pushes harder on the flop with a straight or flush draw -- this line feels way too tricky as a semibluff for someone of his apparent aggression level unless he pulls out all his chops in defence of his blind. I also don't think Villain is on a stone cold bluff often enough to call down on that basis alone. It's either an overplayed flopped pair, a strangely played semibluff, or (most likely seeming) a T/overpair/2-pair+ hand.

My line is representing quite a bit of strength. His is representing more. Is it worth putting in 2 more bets to find out whether he's got the goods? How about a 3-bet/fold line if we think he's most likely either semibluffing or way ahead and unlikely to carry the semibluff through to a cap?
Old 10-22-2005, 04:57 PM

I have changed my mind. There is a flush draw out there. We got position. We should use it and put the villain in a tough spot. 3-bet it and fold to a cap. Then check behind on the river.
Old 10-22-2005, 05:04 PM

I'd fold here. Unless he's capable of doing this with AK, I think you are drawing to 2 outs a lot of the time here. I think a LAG will make this play with KK.
Old 10-22-2005, 05:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have changed my mind. There is a flush draw out there. We got position. We should use it and put the villain in a tough spot. 3-bet it and fold to a cap. Then check behind on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Keep it simpler.
Old 10-22-2005, 05:24 PM

You cant believe calling is better than 3-betting though? I would never call this when we have position. Its raise or fold time.
Old 10-22-2005, 06:00 PM

Cap preflop and calldown.

Edit: 3 betting is no good since this type of player will fire a 3rd barrel when he misses so you don't need to worry about charging him. Also if he's on a draw, or has overcards, they look like they have showdown value to him so even if he doesn't bet he'll probably check/call the river. You can never rule out a bluff or semibluff cap from this type.

Folding never crosses my mind. He could be doing this with nothing, and if you think about it it's not a bad play if you're capable of laying down this hand if he has something like ace high that he was gonna call a river bet with since it costs him no more and he gains fold equity.
Old 10-22-2005, 06:52 PM

The fact that LAG didn't 3bet the flop and check/raised turn = you're screwed.

I'd also cap preflop given the read. (I also play lots of short handed).