Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2005, 08:24 PM

Default a post-flop hand -- $22

Thought this was a good hand for discussion, as I'm sure a lot of people would go broke with an overpair in this situation. I felt like this was an obvious laydown, but I almost got trapped until I stopped myself and rethought the situation.

2 things:
I think I *almost* raised the flop bet too much -- I was going to bump it to 200 -- and I believe this would have made it more difficult to play or at least cost me more than it needed to. His min-bet screamed "I've got JT", but it obviously didn't have to be, so I think my 150 raise let me find out as cheaply as possible. Also, I'm sure a lot of people would be tempted to continue with the hand and see the turn for a min-reraise, but I thought I was probably drawing nearly dead.

Just thought this would be a hand of interest due to the lack of post flop hands on this forum.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (9 handed) converter

Button (t990)
SB (t1045)
BB (t1600)
UTG (t785)
UTG+1 (t785)
Hero (t815)
MP2 (t675)
MP3 (t690)
CO (t615)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t45</font>, MP2 calls t45, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, SB calls t35, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: (t147.50) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets t50</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t150</font>, MP2 folds, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to t250</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: t547.50
Old 09-28-2005, 08:32 PM

Default Re: a post-flop hand -- $22

Raise that ish to 60 (at least), as for the flop; that's kinda shady. I think I call the extra 100 and re-evaluate on the turn.
Old 09-28-2005, 08:45 PM

Preflop looks fine and i like the reraise on the flop. His minreraise is definately sketchy and i dont like just smooth calling if he is on a draw. or has an A. So you can either push your kings or fold. I think folding would be a big mistake later on in a tournament because he could have AQ or be on a draw. To be convinced someone flopped a straight is really hard to do. However, because it is very early and if you are a good player you can probably outplay them the rest of the game and find a better spot to get your money in. Like i said late in a tournament you cant be afraid of the nut straight on a flop when you have KK on a queen high board IMO. There just isnt enough time in a SNG to worry about that in level 4 or 5. Level 1 i think this is a justifiable laydown.
Old 09-28-2005, 08:49 PM

Default IQ TEST!!!!

Thought this may help my thread get more replies.
Old 09-28-2005, 08:56 PM

I raise to 60 preflop. Obviously I raise him on the flop, and I push his reraise. If he has me beat I suck out or start another tourney. Ppl at the 22s make this play with AQ, KQ, QJ, QT and weaker hands too often - I'm not folding.
Old 09-28-2005, 09:07 PM

I considered this possibility, but a min-reraise when he's OOP vs. the preflop raiser just screams to me that he has the straight or a set and wants to build the pot. I would expect a flat call or a push from just top pair, or top pair + a straight draw. But, there's no reason to think he's competent either since it's only a $22 and he may be just trying to build a pot with a pair.

Anyone else think along these lines? I still lean towards folding, as I think I'm beat by a lot a vast majority of the time, and I still have plenty of chips to play with here.