Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2005, 12:17 AM

Default having problems can anyone offer some advice?

its been a very long break even month for me at the 20 and 30 sngs. i began the month with a move up to the 33's and i killed them for awhile. but the last 200 all ive done is broke even as u can see from the first graph. so i decided to go back down to the 20s and for the last 100 20's the same has occured. its frustrating to play all day just to end up back where i started day after day. i realize that this is prolly all varience and im just seeing the down side but this is really hurting my confidence in my ability to turn a profit at the 20's and the 30's. i feel as if im doing something different than i have in the past but i dont know what that is. my itm numbers look ok but i feel like im not getting the job done when it gets down to 3. way to many 3rd places. my sample size isnt great but i really didnt start tracking all my sngs this close untill last month when i found that great excell spread sheet but ive been making a decent profit at the 20's for my last 1000ish. anyways i thought about maybe goin back to the 10's for awhile( havnt played a 10 in months) or something untill this turns around for me. or i could tough it out at the 20's idk. suggestions from anyone would be great

[image]
i7.photobucket.com/albums/y286/cball86/graph1.jpg
[/image]
Old 08-10-2005, 12:20 AM

Default Re: having problems can anyone offer some advice?

When you use the words frustrated, frustrating or hurt confidence three times in one post (except this one), it is time to take 48 hours off.

The cure is usually that simple.

Lori
Old 08-10-2005, 12:22 AM

heres the graph for the 30's it wouldnt go on my post
Old 08-10-2005, 12:24 AM

huh?

i don't understand?

you didn't break even. you profited.

citanul
Old 08-10-2005, 12:29 AM

i had played 150 20's befor moving to the 33's and then after i broke even for 200 of them (after that opening run) i went back to the 20's where i have done the same thing through 100.
Old 08-10-2005, 12:29 AM

High 3rd and 4th % are (assuming no variance) is either the result of poor pushing standards, or not pushing enough. It is most likely the latter, ie you're not pushing enough to maintain folding equity.

It's just as likely that your've just been unlucky.

I've played as many tournies over the last few days as you have graphed, and I'm down 22 buyins over the last few days. My 1st/2nd/3rd/4th/5th %s are 7%, 12%, 13%, 18% and 19%. That distribution really sucks, but it's just variance. My first 200 sngs had 45%ish ROI. My 450 $33s were breakeven. You just can't trust results from a few hundred sngs.

17% is a good ROI. Just keep playing.
Old 08-10-2005, 12:49 AM

just keep playing. you're doing fine. ignore all the idiots who say that even a mentally retarded person could maintain a 20% ROI at the 33s or whatever

btw, the 33s have been the swingiest for me. I moved down to the 22s a little while back when my confidence was shot. now I'm at the 55s
Old 08-10-2005, 12:57 AM

Suck it up and dont whine. You are gonna see a lot worse.

I promise.
Old 08-10-2005, 12:59 AM

Oh, and btw, your sample size says ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about your true long-term status in the game.
Old 08-10-2005, 12:59 AM

350 sng's break even is not bad at all. i thought sample sizes started at 500 at the absolute minimum. at least you have rakeback. you do have rakeback, right?

breakeven streaks happen. post hands and learn, the money will come.