Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-2005, 03:24 PM

Default what\'s up with Russia?

lately there are tons of russian's playing the $109's and none of them suck! Don't they have rich stupid people in Russia too?

Steve
Old 01-22-2005, 06:24 PM

Default Re: what\'s up with Russia?

From what I know, Russia still is one of the world leaders in human capital when it comes to mathematics, the sciences, etc.

If I lived in Russia and had done graduate work in mathtematics, physics, engineering, etc. (think great analytical skills/mind), I'd take a look at the typical pay of the jobs available to me in my profession in Russia. Then I'd compare it to what a good online poker player who multitables can make.

Then I'd get my hands on some poker literature/find a friend or two that played to ask questions to, etc. I'd spend as much time studying poker as I did in my graduate studies. I'd start an online account, build up my bankroll (even if it means starting at micro limits), and keep working up, etc., etc.

Point being, you can make more playing online poker than a lot of pretty good jobs here in the U.S. In Russia, you can make way, way, way more than a lot of pretty good jobs there (to my semi-informed knowledge) - even if you're playing some of the smaller limits (like $3/6 multitabling).

I'm surprised there aren't even more players online from Russia for the above stated reasons (if they're correct). I suspect more well-educated Russian players will find their way online in the future.
Old 01-22-2005, 06:43 PM

That's my impression as well. Seems like nobody plays poker for recreation there so you only get serios (and damn good) players. I wonder if the whole coaching, masters, etc. structure from chess isn't in play as well. The number of players popping up and their similer style makes it look like some structured coaching going on maybe, rather than the figure it out as you go idividual approach.

Steve
Old 01-22-2005, 06:50 PM

Russian chess players probably realized that they could make a lot more money playing poker
Old 01-22-2005, 08:02 PM

That actually makes alot of sense. I would think sng's would appeal to chess players more than ring games. The whole early, mid, late game stratagies would seem familiar. I would think varaince would be a tough thing for a chess player to get used to though. If it is chess players switching over it would explain the rather quick rise in numbers at the higher levels also.

Steve
Old 01-22-2005, 08:49 PM

I agree - I imagine there's probably some people that have had success that are coaching/teaching others how to play. And yes, $-wise if you're a great chess player, why the heck would you continue to spend your time/energy on that when you can make a boatload more playing poker - especially in a country where high paying jobs (compared to US) are much harder to come by.