Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2005, 09:35 AM

Default Re: How bad were you crushing the 11\'s when you moved up to the 22s?

To answer OP, I was 25% over 500+ at 10s and then my ROI dropped considerably at 20s....like to 16-18% over 300+...I don't think I had a 12 OOTM until I went to 20s though...

I don't think your magnitude of +ROI matters though...if you feel like you are crushing the competition, you will know when you are ready to move up. For instance, if you go through a session of 100 SNGs and see that you made 1-2 donk mistakes but the rest of the times you were knocked out were bad beats, it's obviously time to move up regardless of your ROI. It doesn't matter if you've played 50 or 5000 of that level (which is why I would say ROI is less important than the overall makeup of players at that level compared to you).

Hope that helps.
Old 07-13-2005, 12:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Who cares how good u are. Move up when ur bankroll is big enough and down when its not.

[/ QUOTE ]

What is wrong with this? If you're good enough to be a winning player, you will move up as your bankroll increases and down whenever a bad run hits you, but you'll get to keep playing. If you're not a winning player, you'll bust anyway, so have fun with it.

I moved up to the 22's at:
300 games
23% ROI
actual bankroll of about $300 and no fear of ruin since I could redeposit

SlimP
Old 07-13-2005, 12:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Who cares how good u are. Move up when ur bankroll is big enough and down when its not.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this advice. I don't know why several posters think it is retarded. There isn't really that much difference between the levels so if you can beat one there is good chance you can beat the next. If nothing else it would be good practice. You are costing yourself a good amount of money if you would be able to beat the next level and don't move up.
Old 07-13-2005, 12:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What is wrong with this? If you're good enough to be a winning player, you will move up as your bankroll increases and down whenever a bad run hits you, but you'll get to keep playing. If you're not a winning player, you'll bust anyway, so have fun with it.

I moved up to the 22's at:
300 games
23% ROI
actual bankroll of about $300 and no fear of ruin since I could redeposit

SlimP

[/ QUOTE ]

damn man, i'm really sad i didn't see this til now... everyone else got to rip this apart but not me =(

what's wrong with it is that unlike you, the OP of this opinion didn't qualify with "as long as you're a good enough to be a winning player." by his suggestion, you should just play and move around blindly. so if you had a million dollars, but stunk, you should start at like, the step 5 highers or something, and move down only when you lost a ton. etc.

citanul
Old 07-13-2005, 12:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this advice. I don't know why several posters think it is retarded. There isn't really that much difference between the levels so if you can beat one there is good chance you can beat the next. If nothing else it would be good practice. You are costing yourself a good amount of money if you would be able to beat the next level and don't move up.

[/ QUOTE ]

you've only slimly managed to not be the stupidest sounding person in this thread so far, and that's only because you didn't get here first.

no, wait, the me too + new stupid thing = you stupidest so far.

citanul
Old 07-13-2005, 12:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you've only slimly managed to not be the stupidest sounding person in this thread so far, and that's only because you didn't get here first.

no, wait, the me too + new stupid thing = you stupidest so far.

citanul

[/ QUOTE ]

I just laughed out loud...ouch.
Old 07-13-2005, 12:35 PM

I've played about a dozen $11s in my life, and 8 of those were when I decided to do my first set of 8 tabling. I pretty much started at the $33s.
Old 07-13-2005, 12:35 PM

i move up when (1) im bored (2) my bankroll is dwindling
[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-13-2005, 12:37 PM

just under 500 games, just over 43%
as i've been telling people, the time at which i played my games like that in bulk, the games were REALLY easy. having played a few games since then, i can vouch for them being harder.

my ROI in those games since then is like 11 games played, -100% roi
Old 07-13-2005, 12:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this statement, unqualified by "if you are a winning player." Some people have other goals in poker than winning money. They have to because most people can't win money long-term playing poker. I'm still willing to accept that I could be on a 1000-tournament heater and might still be a losing player. Anyway, in defense of the OP here, if a losing player gets his rocks off by playing Step 5 Highers, let that player do so. If he has fun then it's money well spent. A bankroll that's "big enough" means different things to a player depending on whether the player is a long-term winner or a long-term loser. Especially since so much is thrown around along the lines of "move up at 20/30/50/100 buy-ins and down at X buy-ins," which is all meaningless without context BTW, I'd rather people ask "How big is 'big enough'?" rather than "When should I move up?" because it forces them to define their goals for poker rather than just blindly stabbing around trying to imitate the online pros without the necessary skills.

Q: When should I move up?
A: When your bankroll is big enough.
Q: When is my bankroll big enough?
return Q: Are you a winning player?
return A: I don't know.
A: Assume you're a loser. Play whatever level would be the most fun as long as you don't mind losing all the money you put in until you can tell if you're a winner player. Then come back and ask again.