Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium-Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-2005, 01:38 PM

Default flopped bottom set, 200NL

We are all have pretty big stacks. 550ish. Both villians are solid. cutoff is pretty tight, only shown down solid hands. MP2 is a loose player, and can get tricky.

I'm SB and dealt, 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. MP2 calls, Cutoff calls, I call, BB calls. 4 to the flop.

Flop: 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
I bet 7, BBfolds, MP2 minraises to 14. Cutoff calls. I reraise 24 more??. MP2 calls, Cutoff calls.

(122) Turn: Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
I check??, MP2 checks, Cutoff bets 75. I call, MP2 calls.

(347) River: J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
I check?

What's the most you are willing to call on the river? Where could I have changed my line to improve my read on both players? Anyone play a different line?
Old 12-20-2005, 02:13 PM

Default Re: flopped bottom set, 200NL

What an odd hand. As your post suggests, you played this in a way that left you very confused about where you were. I think the only two hands you really need to worry about are 99 and 66. I doubt very much that the river Jack made anyone a straight unless they were on KT or T8 of clubs.

Your flop reraise is either way too big or way too small. If I am reading it correctly, when it came back around to you there was 39 in the pot. Your raise of 24 more made the pot 39+7+24 = 70, giving MP2 almost 3:1 to call and the cutoff 4:1 when MP2 called. Either or both of them could have been on some kind of draw and they might well have taken those odds. On the flop you need to either just call the raise and plan to c/r the turn or re-raise it bigger. That would tell you where you are in the hand.

By the time you get to the river, it is very hard to know where you are and there is no obvious line. One option is to lead for say, $250 but that basically commits you if someone raises. The other option is to check/call and hope nobody goes crazy.

Bottom line: you ended up in a tough spot because of your play on the flop.
Old 12-20-2005, 02:45 PM

Your turn play is really bad, letting two players see the river for only 75 bucks is a major error. I would have led for the pot, but given your check you must raise when it gets bet for you.

Sets are great hands, and you often want to get the money in. This turn play accomplishes the opposite, especially since it is likely that at least one opponent is drawing live.
Old 12-20-2005, 05:13 PM

I was actually cutoff in this spot holding 99. Given previous reads I had him on a lower set, but wasnt sure how to extract the most money from him. I ended up betting 150 on the river and got called by his 22. I felt that he could have played a different line on his hand. How do you think the cutoff played it? I feel my river bet was weak and could have gotten more money.