Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium-Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2005, 02:08 PM

Default Deep 100nl with one crazy villain

Not sure if this is the right forum but the stack sizes large.
If it needs to be moved feel free.
I played a couple of hands last night with this crazy villain on the party 100nl 6-max, the two of them here being notable.
The first hand was my first confrontation with him and it leads to the second hand:

Hand 1
I have 180 and he covers.
I'm dealt A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] UTG and raise 4 villain calls in BB

Flop8.5) K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

I bet 7 and he calls.

Turn: Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Sweet my first royal. Villain bets 15 and I not having a good royal line min raise to 30 (I know but in this case it worked wonders) he min raises me back to 45 and i call.

River: (~110) J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

He shoves and shows 78off and I take a big pot.

So villain is obviously a pretty bad lag which brings me to the second and not so braggy part of my post.

Hand 2:

He has ~ 200 and I cover.
Pre Flop:
I'm dealt Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] in the small blind. All fold to villain who makes it 3 to go. His standard opener which just means any two. I make it 10 to go he calls and we take it heads up.

Flop~20) 10 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

I bet 15 and he calls

Turn: (~50) 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
I bet 35 and he calls

River: (~120) 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I check and he shoves for 140 more.

Now I feel like I'm obligated to call this because of the way I played the hand, but is there a better line to be taken, especially on the river, which doesn't put me in such a weird spot. I should note that the only time I saw the villain get out of line before was on hand one and he hadn’t done anything that crazy to others, so I wasn’t sure what to do exactly.
Old 12-10-2005, 02:42 PM

Default Re: Deep 100nl with one crazy villain

I'd reraise more preflop and bet the pot. If you want to play for your stack bet the turn and CR all in or check/call check/call down, or make a decision on the river to fold. Calling on the end here doesnt look bad either. T9 just got counterfitted too btw, you can definitley call this profitably.

-SmileyEH
Old 12-10-2005, 03:02 PM

Check the turn against this guy.
Old 12-10-2005, 03:13 PM

How would you recommend proceeding from there.
Old 12-10-2005, 03:32 PM

It really depends on what he does. I like check/call, check/call though more than pot, pot, call.
Old 12-10-2005, 04:14 PM

More thoughts on this hand because I feel like it. In a deep stacked, capped buy in game, stack size becomes a huge premium against a bad LAG. The fact of the matter is that he is willing to put in huge chunks of his stack with less than steller holdings, and your goal is simply to force him to do so when you hold a good enough hand to call with.

Allowing pot size to grow when you don't have very strong holdings is now a huge liability, because you end up playing games that you don't wanna play and possibly letting the LAG outplay you, either by bluffing you out of big pots (which he loves to do) or by forcing you to get 200BB in with just a strong pair.
Old 12-10-2005, 05:44 PM

Default Results

I pretty much insta called this one. Villain showed k7o for no pair no draw and MHIG. I think xorbie brings up a good point about pot control against bad lags though, however when someone is so dedicated to geeting their stack in against you, I don't see much choice in he mater but playing a bit of a guessing game.
Old 12-10-2005, 05:48 PM

Default Re: Results

[ QUOTE ]

I pretty much insta called this one. Villain showed k7o for no pair no draw and MHIG. I think xorbie brings up a good point about pot control against bad lags though, however when someone is so dedicated to geeting their stack in against you, I don't see much choice in he mater but playing a bit of a guessing game.

[/ QUOTE ]

This guy isn't bad LAG he's totally retarded.
Old 12-10-2005, 05:57 PM

Ya but it was weird cause he only did this against me. Against the rest of the table he was playing pretty well, and wasn't being such a tard.

It seemed like he ran up his stack originally just by playing solid enough poker, and maybe decided to just unload all in my account.

Unfortunately he left soon thereafter
Old 12-10-2005, 06:01 PM

turn check is probably best, let him bluff you there and on the river

though the way you played it, river is an insta-call, you now beat a lot more hands, that 4 is great for an overpair