Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2005, 02:22 PM

Default Wesley Clark Gaining Popularity with the Left?

Whenever I'm curious about what the far left is thinking on an issue, I check out the DailyKos. So, with a new Supreme Court nominee, I went over there.

But, I found something far more interesting. In a DKos 7/19 straw poll, General Wesley Clark is way ahead of all other Democratic candidates for President in 2008. (a 6/20 straw poll is in paranthesis)

Daily Kos community poll. 7/19. 8,027 respondents. (6/20 results)

Clark 34% (26%)
No Freakin' Clue 13 (17)
Clinton 10 (10)
Feingold 10 (10)
Edwards 7 (8)
Warner 5 (5)
Richardson 4 (4)
Other 4 (7)
Biden 3 (3)
Kerry 2 (2)
Bayh 2 (2)
Vilsack 0 (0)

Based on scanning some comments there, Clark has a very strong internet campaign already going. That's the type of organization which helped Dean get out to his lead in 2003.

Can anybody shead some light on whether Clark is quietly getting off to a good start with the Democratic base?
Old 07-20-2005, 02:46 PM

Default Re: Wesley Clark Gaining Popularity with the Left?

I have no insight on his organization at this point, but this poll doesn't surprise me. After 8 years of a Republican President, I think most Democrats are in the mood to win, and they would be willing to sacrifice some ideological purity in the process.

I am sure most Democrats would prefer Hillary over Clark; however, they would much rather swallow their pride and win with Clark than risk losing with Hillary.

I am probably in a minority, but Clark does not impress me as much as he does others. I found him to be a bit of a lightweight during his run in 2004.
Old 07-20-2005, 02:59 PM

I am a democrat living in a blue state (NY) and most of the people I know are democrats.

I do not know 1 solitary person who is a Hillary Clinton supporter for president.

Barring the "sample size" remarks, I think that the supposed, phantom Hillary Clinton support among Democrats is something cooked up by the Right Wing. Nothing gets a Conservative to foam at the mouth more than mentioning a Clinton. Its like the political duplication of pavlov's dog.
Old 07-20-2005, 03:28 PM

Perhaps I'm going blind/confused, but I just went to DailyKos...and the poll has something like 1200 responses, not 8000; and (if it hasn't been said already), the poll was obviously non-scientific. The results seem rather random to me, regardless; I certainly don't sense any perceptible buzz around Clark, and I'm rather familar with Democratic Party activists (at least in the souteast Michigan area). Nor have I heard/read anything about him even having a campaign team in place. As far as I know, he's not raising money and has no paid staff.
Old 07-20-2005, 03:43 PM

with madonna on his side, how could he lose? I thought sex sells!

Seriously, though, he is a very likely candidate. Especially likely amongst this group of potentials.
Old 07-20-2005, 05:13 PM

If you remember the Draft Clark movement back in 02-03 was the reason Clark got into the race initially. I suspect that very organized online group is still active and does a decent job of getting the word out about any of these online polls. It's almost guaranteed that a phone survey of Democrats would turn out much different.

I'm telling you straight up, it's Mark Warner in '08 baby! Hop on the bandwagon now before people start looking down at you for it [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-20-2005, 05:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Whenever I'm curious about what the far left is thinking on an issue, I check out the DailyKos.

[/ QUOTE ]

"far left"? DailyKos???

LMFAO [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

q/q
Old 07-20-2005, 05:40 PM

I'm a democrat and I would sooner die than have hillary clinton run for president (bill is another story).

I dno't really thingk Wesley Clark is that great either.
Old 07-20-2005, 06:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you remember the Draft Clark movement back in 02-03 was the reason Clark got into the race initially.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, not really.

Liberal alert – what follows is sure to be called the “vast right wing conspiracy” or Extreme.

Clark entered the race for one reason – to derail Dean. The one thing the Clintons and DNC chair McCaullef did not want was a sitting president in ’08 so they ran Clark to destroy Dean.

Yeah,I know I’m a republican stooge, hate monger, blah blah blah. – whatever.
[img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 07-20-2005, 07:10 PM

i don't even really understand.