Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2005, 07:49 PM

Default Re: cooking steaks

cube steak into 1 1/2x 1 1/2" pieces
marinate in teriyaki or make something like this *(1/2 cup red wine OR 1/2 a beer, pour over meat in bowl top off w/ tangy Italian dressing right out of the bottle - I prefer Newman's orig., splash w/ soy sauce, great for tri tip as well) marinate up to 3 hours in fridge

While marinating, cut some red/green/or yellow bell pepper as well as purple onion into like sized (1-1 1/2") pieces
skewer the meat cubes into shiskabobs w/ cherry tomatoes and mushrooms along w/ the other veggies

the Foreman grill will suffice, but BBQ is best

serve w/ steamed white rice or even cous cous
Old 02-16-2005, 07:51 PM

I wouldn't know about the fattened up on wheat part(None of the elk I ever got was anywhere near a wheat field) but I DO prefer an elk steak to just about anything I have ever tasted!
Shot a big old lead cow out of a group of them last fall and have been eating well ever since.
Of course the deer and antelope steaks and sausages have been pretty darn good as well, but ELK is in a whole different category!
Old 02-17-2005, 03:36 AM

Default RESULTS

Damn you guys rock. I did the soy sauce steak tonight with the pan sear/oven combo and it was brilliant. No more GFG for me. Thanks guys.

The only downside is that my whole house became VERY smokey. I set off two fire alarms and pissed off all 4 of my roommates. I think this might be because a.) I had half a piece of black forest ham stuck under the burner thingy and 2.) because I might have put a little too much oil in the pan.

Also, after I removed the steak from the pan I decided it would be a good idea to pick it up and put it in the sink, forgetting that it was just in a 500 degree oven. I have a rather nasty burn on my hand, and I guarentee i'm going to make that mistake again. Oh well, it's worth it. Thanks guys.
Old 02-17-2005, 09:39 AM

Default Re: RESULTS

[ QUOTE ]
Damn you guys rock. I did the soy sauce steak tonight with the pan sear/oven combo and it was brilliant. No more GFG for me. Thanks guys.

The only downside is that my whole house became VERY smokey. I set off two fire alarms and pissed off all 4 of my roommates. I think this might be because a.) I had half a piece of black forest ham stuck under the burner thingy and 2.) because I might have put a little too much oil in the pan.

Also, after I removed the steak from the pan I decided it would be a good idea to pick it up and put it in the sink, forgetting that it was just in a 500 degree oven. I have a rather nasty burn on my hand, and I guarentee i'm going to make that mistake again. Oh well, it's worth it. Thanks guys.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, just wait til you get a grill.

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 02-17-2005, 11:58 AM

Default Re: RESULTS

Yes, If there is ANY way to use a grill do it!.
Maybe you have just no way at all but if you can find any way to cook outside, even if it is going to the park or something get a grill.
I bought this little propane grill that is really small, like a small suitcase, that runs on the little propane bottles and I use it when I am camping or when we are out hunting and want to take a break for a hot lunch. We really like packing some elk or deer steaks along and takin that break and firing up the little grill and searing flesh for lunch! We don't even bother using plates or forks or anything. Just grab chunks of rare meat off the grill and start digging in with just hands and teeth!
Whups, sorry I slipped a little bit there. Got carried away thinking about it [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Really though, get one of those little grills and get outside and give it a try. Takes meat to a whole new level!
Old 02-17-2005, 05:00 PM

Pan-fried is every bit as good as grilled. Skillet's great if you don't want to fire up a grill.

One thing I'd like to add to all the good suggestions is: for god's sake, get your steak outta the fridge and to room temperature before cooking it. (And resting a few minutes after removing from heat makes a big difference too).

here's a great, very tasty and very easy sauce I make to go with steaks and teh ole garlic/olive mashed spuds: equal parts butter, worcester sauce and balsamic vinegar. Med/high heat in a pan so it froths for just a coupla mins only, until it thickens very slightly. Don't overcook or everything separates. That's it.