Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2005, 03:21 PM

Default Handling Raises when I have Middle Pair - Curing Passivity

First Post (Go easy). I am relatively new to the real money games. I have been playing NL 25 for about 3 months and have gone from an initial deposit of $200 to about $380 playing a super-tight aggressive style [at PP]. I feel I am laying down too many hands with middle pair. On the flop, with middle pair, assuming no raises preflop, what is an appropriate strategy for trying to take some of these pots with middle pair without negative EV over time? Pot sized bet, or what? If I bet out and am raised, should that be it? I just feel like I could be doing better if I did not give up so much - but since I am rather new I'm always looking for a pretty solid flop. [ I will review some of the practice hands in my books [harrington, cloutier] but was curious what you all thought about it.Thanks.
Old 06-23-2005, 03:29 PM

Default Re: Handling Raises when I have Middle Pair - Curing Passivity

The only time I attempt to pick up the pot with middle pair is if I'm in last position, it checks around to me and the board isn't too scary. Perhaps that's weak play - it has, however worked for me. I've been playing the .25/.5 for about 7 weeks, and I'm up around 55 buy ins. I would come out for around 2/3 to 3/4 of the pot w/ your bet.
Old 06-23-2005, 05:04 PM

the more people at the flop, the less of a good idea trying to take it down with middle pair becomes.

usually if its 3 at the flop or less, I'll bet out with middle pair if I'm not first to act.
Old 06-23-2005, 08:18 PM

The question wasnt when to bet middle pair...it was what to do when you bet middle pair and get raised. This is very easy. FOLD!!
Old 06-23-2005, 08:21 PM

Start making raises with position (when you're last or second to last to act) on the flop and everyone has checked to you... regardless of your holdings.

As for going too far with middle pair, probably not a good idea to play it against a raise.
Old 06-23-2005, 09:14 PM

If you are in late position and it is checked around to you, bet at it.