Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2004, 02:59 AM

Default My only problem with Poker

I've been playing Poker semi-professionally now for about 21 months and I've been doing decent. My poker profits almost equal my salary and I usually only play every other night. My bankroll's at a good size and I've thought about going professional, play in all the big tournaments, which I haven't done yet, and do something I love for a living.

My only problem is when I think 20, 30 years down the road and I look back on my life as a professional poker player, I don't feel any sense of accomplishment whatsoever. I've imagined winning a ton of tournaments, achieving absolute and utter sucess in poker, and when I imagine myself at that state, I feel like I've contributed nothing to society. The point is when I die, I don't want to be remembered as a great poker player -- I mean, so what.

Currently I'm just lowly merchant banker, but if I think 20-30 years down the road at success in the field, I do feel a sense of accomplishment. I wouldn't mind going to my grave as a Soros or a Peterson -- especially if I can do some considerable philantropy.

All I know is I only have one life to live, and I want it to be enjoyable, but I also want it to be meaningful, to me, my future family, and society as a whole. Of course it would be best if I could die a great writer or philosopher, but I'm not showing much promise in those fields yet, haha. But to die a great poker player, who spent his life playing a card-game, I don't know, it's just depressing to think about.

Maybe you pros out there can give me some feedback on how you feel about the profession, and if I'm not seeing some bigger picture. Thanks.

- Kase
Old 10-14-2004, 03:11 AM

Default Re: My only problem with Poker.

I'm no pro.

But I guess you just kinda have to ask yourself what area you stress the most?

The fact that you have the ability to make a living doing something you enjoy... that's something many people don't have.

Many people do things they don't enjoy, AND get no sense of accomplishment from them.

I mean obviously, you're the only one that can answer the question as to whether or not you keep at it. If it's a depressing thought to be a pro, then don't be a pro, plain and simple. No matter what I or anybody else thinks ;P

From a mere personal accomplishment standpoint, I think that large amounts of success in ANY field, whether it's my living or not, is pretty tasty. And that's the key, I think.

If you keep poker as a hobby, and still stay a consistent winner... well, during your "hobby time," that magical period where you're doing something you love, making money at it, but don't DEPEND on it, you're still in the same boat... 'not contributing to society,' etc.

And my final say here? I'd love to be remembered as a poker great... a phenomenal musician... a brilliant writer...

But above that, I want the people close to me, the people whose lives I've touched and been a part of, and those that have touched me...

I have little care of "how" they remember me. I just want to be remembered as somebody who lived this 'life' thing, and tried his best to do it well. If it happens that I make some big scores and become a well known poker player, or if I have a platinum album, or a pulitzer... well, good for me, but if I end up teaching high school math somewhere, I'll still derive pleasure from music, writing, and poker.

But, I guess all I can say is to look in yourself for the answer here. I'm sure there are pros that love it. I'm sure there are plenty of people who could make a living playing cards, who don't. It's really a personal decision, that no amount of logical argument on either side can make for you.

I would just advise, personally, that you be careful to try not to identify your whole life merely on how you made money. I mean after all, it's just paper isn't it?

My ramble is over. Good luck to ya on whatever decision you make.
Old 10-14-2004, 03:15 AM

Default Re: My only problem with Poker.

Just because you are playing pro poker, doesnt mean that you can't do anything else with your time to fulfill those other aspects of life.

The whole point of playing poker, is that you should have a lot more freetime, that you would never have if you didn't have a normal job.

You aren't forced to play 12 hours a day every day for the next 20 years. You can do charity work, some hobbies, or anything on the side.
Old 10-14-2004, 03:19 AM

Default Re: My only problem with Poker

You don't want to be remembered as a great poker play, but you want to be remembered as a great merchant banker? No offense, but when you die I doubt society will remember you as anything unless you do something huge. If you're going to end up making something really big of yourself and become legendary for doing something great then screw poker. Otherwise, I think it's better to be known as a great card player who was respected by the poker community than to not be known at all.
Old 10-14-2004, 03:34 AM

Not a pro but I agree with the sentiment. poker is not exactly a real worthy pursuit in terms of making a societal contribution. At best, it's charging people for the "entertainment" of playing you, and at worst, it's preying on people with psychological deficiencies.

You'll get endless rationalizations from some here, I'm sure, but I don't think that conclusion is escapable.

Now, don't get me wrong, there are many other things people do with their lives that are equally as empty.

But I keep my day job at least partly because at least there, I know I'm doing something which contributes to a goal other than simply taking other people's money by shuffling 52 pieces of paper around on a table.

eastbay
Old 10-14-2004, 05:11 AM

I too chuckled about his being a LOWLY merchant banker and how that could translate to meaningful.

Almost noone REALLY gets remembered down the LONG road.

Charlie needs an EGO check.

ICE AGE in 10,000 years WILL be doing a wipe and drop on us anyhow.

>TW<
Old 10-14-2004, 05:16 AM

what about if you become a successful poker professional and have enough free time to raise a family and go to your kids soccer games and coach T-ball? I think that would make your life a success....
Old 10-14-2004, 11:21 AM

Win enough money playing poker to try to buy the presidency for your friend. You said you wanted to be a Soros, right?
Old 10-14-2004, 11:36 AM

Default Soros

I was thinking the same thing. I want to be Soros. I want to have more money than God, but I still want the government to tax the hell out of everyone else and give their hard earned money to people around the world that didn't earn it. I want the UN to run everyone's life. Please someone regulate the hell out of our citizens' every waking moment because they're too stupid to take care of themselves...Phew! O.K. Sorry for the rant. I'll get off my soapbox now. But it's just hard for me to imagine anyone actually looking up to that bastard.

[ QUOTE ]
Win enough money playing poker to try to buy the presidency for your friend. You said you wanted to be a Soros, right?

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-14-2004, 12:37 PM

Default Re: Soros

I would say do what makes you happy now----> POKER. Take a high % of your bankroll and put it aside so you don't HAVE to depend on poker as your income. During that time try to decide what would fulfill your life. Then take that money and go for it.

I heard Barry Greenstein say the same thing. Almost exactly. He said he then decided to take almost 100% of his winnings and donate it to a charity. He said last year he donated over 3 million to that charity. He said he really feels special now. Maybe you could follow in his footsteps. Or PM me and I'll give you my PayPAl address and I'll take it from there. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Good luck in whatever you decide.