Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2005, 01:40 AM

Default Re: Buy computer or build own?

[ QUOTE ]
This REALLY doesn't sound like a recommendation at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I know. I'm gonna go over to my friend's place to watch him try to get it running right now. It's been very educational just to watch. The problem isn't with any of the hardware, it's my friend trying to make the 2 Raptor HDs(10k rpm) run as one single HD so it runs much faster. He likes doing it, and I still have my old computer, so I really don't mind the time it's taking and I'm learning a valuable skill. I can pretty much put together my own computer now.

So my recommendation is to have your friend(if he is knowedgeable) put it together and for you to watch him do it and ask a lot of questions. Other than that, just get a prepackaged Dell(base-model), ask your friend what specs you should be looking for, and buy all the peripherals on your own. Most tech-savvy people have copies of all the software you need.

DN
Old 11-24-2005, 01:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This REALLY doesn't sound like a recommendation at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've learned more in this thread thank I did asking everyone I come in contact with for the past month. At least I know why/why not to do whatever.
Old 11-24-2005, 05:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i've done it both ways. The sticking point seems to be software. Do you have access to a free (read: illegal) operating system, and other programs you'd want like word and excel? Are you ok morally with using this stuff? If yes, then building your own computer is going to be cheaper. If you have to purchase these things, you're much better off just buying new.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've built my own computers for 10 years now however today this is the correct answer.