Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Group 4 - Six vs. Eleven
48 Hrs. (6) 127 84.67%
Krull (11) 23 15.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-19-2005, 09:32 AM

Default Re: An interesting question for Atheists/Agnostics

[ QUOTE ]
For those that turned down the money: note that it's heaven if it exists. Also, I'm guessing a number of people who chose to turn down the money are theists already.

So, for the atheists that chose the money (like me): how little would it take before you refused the money, and took the "guarantee" instead?

I'd almost definitely take the $1million... but I'd probably turn down $100. So, what about $1000? $10,000? $100,000?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd take any value > 0. Any other answer is inconsistent.
Old 10-19-2005, 11:28 AM

I'll take both.
Old 10-19-2005, 12:15 PM

A no-catch million dollars would be really nice, I'd take it in a heartbeat.
Old 10-19-2005, 12:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
For those that turned down the money: note that it's heaven if it exists. Also, I'm guessing a number of people who chose to turn down the money are theists already.

So, for the atheists that chose the money (like me): how little would it take before you refused the money, and took the "guarantee" instead?

I'd almost definitely take the $1million... but I'd probably turn down $100. So, what about $1000? $10,000? $100,000?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd take any value > 0. Any other answer is inconsistent.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not inconsistent. I wouldn't want to be bothered with listening to this schmuck for < $5. I don't like my wallet being full of single bills, either... so a single $5 bill is my minimum.

Along the same lines, if I'm at the checkout line, and my change is 4 cents... and the clerk says that if I give her the 4 cents, then I will be guaranteed a place in heaven... then I'd give her the 4 cents.
Old 10-19-2005, 02:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The existence of a bet that could guarantee a place in heaven if it exists, would be strong evidence that heaven exists.

[/ QUOTE ]
I would think just the opposite. All I have to do is refuse the 1 million. I can then go rape every little girl I see and steal millions from charities and murder anybody I want and I'm still guaranteed a place in heaven? The existence of such a bet would lead me to believe that heaven does NOT exist (even more than I already believe it).
Old 10-19-2005, 02:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The existence of a bet that could guarantee a place in heaven if it exists, would be strong evidence that heaven exists.

[/ QUOTE ]
I would think just the opposite. All I have to do is refuse the 1 million. I can then go rape every little girl I see and steal millions from charities and murder anybody I want and I'm still guaranteed a place in heaven? The existence of such a bet would lead me to believe that heaven does NOT exist (even more than I already believe it).

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't believe in god, heaven or hell and am happy to take the money from anyone who is not god, but no non-god is in a position to offer the bet.

So the existence of the bet implies the existence of god. That makes the existence of heaven and hell far more likely.

I agree with your point but who knows how this god works.

chez
Old 10-19-2005, 03:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't believe in god, heaven or hell and am happy to take the money from anyone who is not god, but no non-god is in a position to offer the bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

No non-god is in a position to GUARANTEE the bet (the heaven part, I mean)... but as long as they have money, and make this claim, then they are in a position to offer the bet.

If someone offered the bet, I'd be pretty confident that they were a non-god. And once I saw the money, I'd think they were a rich non-god. Then, I'd take the money and thank the non-god for his offer. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-19-2005, 03:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Another that finds child rape and murder attractive!
Old 10-19-2005, 06:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You can either be handed 1 million dollars right now, or you can be guaranteed a place in heaven if it exists. (We'll define heaven as any paradise described by any earthly religion).

If you take the million, you're definitely going to hell if it exists. If you don't take it, you're definitely going to heaven if it exists.

Please respond with reasoning/arguments. I'm including a poll, but I don't want this to just be a vote-and-leave thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

30 for the money, 23 for the Heaven. Looks like we've got 30 atheists and 23 agnostics here.
Old 10-19-2005, 10:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
30 for the money, 23 for the Heaven. Looks like we've got 30 atheists and 23 agnostics here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd guess the majority of those 23 are theists.