Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2005, 10:00 PM

Default Poker Tracker Stats converge

quick question about PT stats when looking at opponents. After how many hand do you think an opponents stats, particularly VPIP and aggressiion will be within a few % of their "true" rate?

In other words after how many hands can opponent's stats be reliable? I am looking for more of a math answer than an intuitive one.

For me, i'll start to look at stats with 75 hands however i dont put too much weight on them until around 250.
Old 09-25-2005, 02:28 AM

Default Re: Poker Tracker Stats converge

It converges faster for a tight player than a loose player. Someone who plays only 10% of hands before the flop will see his VPIP drop below 20% pretty quickly. Someone who plays 35% of hands could have a VPIP above 50% for a longer period of time.

Or at least I think this is right, but I am too tired to give a mathematical argument right now.
Old 09-26-2005, 01:55 AM

Default Re: Poker Tracker Stats converge

For binomial distributions (VPIP reduces to fold or not fold), std deviation is a function of the product of the percentage of times the two choices are made. Thus, the reply was correct-- 10% VPIP times 90% fold is .09, while 35% VPIP times 65% fold is roughly .20, meaning the std Dev of the loose player is double the tight player.

Thus, it takes either double the hands or 4 times the hands (square root of std dev? I forget) to have an equally accurate read on the loose player for VPIP.
-Curtis